first_imgBy Mark Lamport-StokesTHE long-awaited mega bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, which has been more than five years in the making, will take place in Las Vegas on May 2, Mayweather has announced.A duel between the defence-minded Mayweather and the aggressive Pacquiao, the biggest drawcards of their generation, has been savoured by boxing fans, if only to decide the mythical title of the world’s best pound-for-pound fighter.Showtime and HBO will jointly broadcast the bout, which is one of the most eagerly anticipated in boxing since the classic 1975 ‘Thrilla in Manila’ between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier.However, both Mayweather, 37, and Pacquiao, 36, are in the twilight of their respective careers and most pundits say they have lost some of their skills in the ring.“What the world has been waiting for has arrived,” American Mayweather, who has a perfect record of 47-0 with 26 knockouts, said on the social networking website Shots. “Mayweather vs. Pacquiao on May 2, 2015 is a done deal.“I promised the fans we would get this done, and we did. We will make history on May 2nd. Don’t miss it!”Mayweather made a late-night trip to Pacquiao’s hotel in Miami last month to discuss the possibility of a showdown, and the Filipino southpaw, an eight-division world champion, signed the contract for the bout on Thursday.“I am glad my decision to meet with Manny and discuss making this fight happen helped get the deal done,” Mayweather said in a statement. “Giving the fans what they want to see is always my main focus.“This will be the biggest event in the history of the sport. I am the best ever … and this fight will be another opportunity to showcase my skills and do what I do best, which is win.“Manny is going to try to do what 47 before him failed to do, but he won’t be successful. He will be number 48.”Pacquiao, who has a 57-5-2 record with 38 knockouts, said in a statement: “I am very happy that Floyd Mayweather and I can give the fans the fight they have wanted for so many years. They have waited long enough and they deserve it.“It is an honour to be part of this historic event. I dedicate this fight to all the fans who willed this fight to happen and, as always, to bring glory to the Philippines and my fellow Filipinos around the world.”The welterweight showdown in Vegas is projected to be the most lucrative ever in boxing with Mayweather expected to have a 60-40 split advantage on revenues, earning a minimum of $120 million and Pacquiao at least $80 million.“Everyone involved, including Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, knows this fight simply had to happen,” Stephen Espinoza, general manager for Showtime Sports, said in a statement.“All of us are thrilled to be able to deliver this event to boxing fans around the world.”Pacquiao lost much of his appeal after successive defeats to American Timothy Bradley and Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012, prompting talk of his possible retirement, though he has since bounced back with three impressive wins.Five-division world champion Mayweather, who is known for his shrewd business acumen, had been expected to meet Pacquiao in 2010 until negotiations collapsed over the American’s demand for random drug testing.Mayweather has hinted at illegal methods by often questioning how Pacquiao could have won world titles in an unprecedented eight weight classes.Mayweather announced last September, after he scored a dominant win over Argentine Marcos Maidana in Las Vegas in his most recent bout, that he would retire in late 2015 when his Showtime contract ends, after two more fights.last_img read more

read more

first_imgEddie Jones may be feeling a sense of déjà vu as his tenure as England coach reached a new low on Saturday with a fifth successive Test defeat, a run of form similar to the end of his four years in charge of Australia more than a decade ago.England lost 23-12 to South Africa to surrender the three-game series in Bloemfontein on Saturday with the final match to come in Cape Town this weekend, where another defeat would signal the side’s worst run of form since 2006.The Rugby Football Union (RFU) has come out in support of Jones in the wake of the latest loss, while the coach has blamed the series defeat on injuries, a rejuvenated Springbok side and the difficulty of playing tests in South Africa.When Jones was sacked as coach of Australia in December 2005, he had lost eight of his last nine Tests with a side that was also beset by injury.After this tour, England will come up against the Springboks once more in the first of their home autumn internationals at Twickenham in November, followed a week later by world champions New Zealand and then what should be a home banker against Japan.The opportunities to end their dismal run immediately though are not getting any easier.“There is no magic solution here,” Jones told reporters in Bloemfontein. “We’ve got 25 (players) sitting at home who aren’t available for selection. These (the touring party) are the best players we’ve got.“I haven’t had too many times when I have experienced this and it’s tough. My job is to make the team win and it’s not winning.”Jones feels that the situation is not as dire as results suggest and that the team is not far off where they should be.“I am doing as well as I can. In these sorts of situations you get a lot of advice, there is a lot of things wrong. But we are only two or three percent away from turning this around.”BRUTAL BOKSEngland have historically struggled in South Africa, winning three of their 15 Tests, and Jones says the difficulty of playing in the country should not be underestimated.“Each moment in South Africa is hard because of the way Tests are played here,” he said.“They are probably the most pressurised games in the world here. I don’t know why, but that’s how it is. It’s a difficult place to win that is why England have a poor record here.”Jones won 24 of his first 25 Tests in charge of England, including a joint world record 18 in a row, and would have felt untouchable.But he will know from experience that coaches are judged on the present and he needs to engineer a quick turnaround in results or find his fall from grace as rapid as his spectacular rise.last_img read more

read more

first_imgDear Editor,Power outages or put more popularly ‘blackouts’ have long become part of the Guyanese national psyche.For years now, Guyanese have lived with blackouts to the extent that they have developed a physical, material, spiritual and psychological sense of both depreciation adaptation to power outages and its socio-economic consequences on their everyday life and livelihoods.Robert Badal, Chairman of the Guyana Power and Light Company (GPL), in an interview in late November 2017, made a gallant effort to explain away the spate of lengthy power outages the nation continues to experience on a daily basis. Badal, while pointing to GPL’s obsolete physical infrastructure, technical challenges and human resource shortcomings failed to recognise the underlying impact of these deficiencies on people’s daily lives and their long-term social psychological implications for the nation as a whole.Nowadays, with cheap Chinese manufactured electronic items available to many low-income families and with many middle-income families improving their economic standing, along with the opening up of new housing schemes during the 23 years of the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Administration, these developments cumulatively have resulted in our increasing dependency on interrupted power supply.The demand for electricity has grown exponentially and it will continue to grow throughout the country, but more particularly, in the coastland areas.From all indications however, it appears that Guyanese will not, for the longest while, ever experience stable and sustained supply of electricity much less at a cheaper price. The end to blackouts is certainly not around the corner. We still have a very far way to go.Regrettably, before 1992, during the People’s National Congress dictatorship, after 1992 during the PPP/C Administration and now with the A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change in office, none of these Governments, despite their best efforts, have been able to take Guyana out from the blackout syndrome.Whenever blackouts occur, the vulnerabilities of our country are brought to the forefront. Compounding the problem further, is the increasing urbanisation of the coastland as well as the changing demographics in the country as a whole.With blackouts come spoilt food, incapacitated security systems and petrol stations, downtime at cybercrime units, computerised Government departments and airline offices. Such eventualities could result in food poisoning, identity fraud and theft, high incidences of crime especially break and enter and larceny, as well as a halt to the production process.Badal and the Board of Directors of GPL can be deemed as woefully lacking in their appreciation of the psychological impact of power outages on various classes and social strata of the Guyanese citizenry. Badal missed the mark even though he grudgingly confessed in his interview that “the company’s customer service in all its aspects has been found wanting”.The occurrence of a blackout while a patient is on an operating table and the non-availability of stable and continuing power supply providing light so, critical for the surgeon and his team, can result in the death of the patient.In Guyana, there is absolutely no information about deaths occurring under such circumstances. That does not mean it never happened.Compounding the problem further is the fact that of recent, GPL’s power outages, known to last for as long as eight to nine hours, a length of time that would put any standby generator under tremendous pressure.But the impact of power outages on the health sector is only one of its many devastating manifestations.GPL’s thread-worn narratives to assuage the collective pain and suffering of Guyanese, viewed in the context of social psychology is misplaced.The sum total of the Guyanese people’s collective emotions, will, habits and traditions under the extant socio-economic conditions have, cumulatively, rejected GPL’s palliatives as insufficient and unsatisfactory.Guyanese are of the view that these palliatives have not and will not suffice so long as power outages/blackouts sponsored by GPL continue to wreak havoc in the personal and collective lives of every Guyanese man, woman and child.Yours sincerely,Clement J Roheelast_img read more

read more

first_imgLATEST STORIES “We thank Penny for her contributions to the WNBA through her service to the Sparks organization and as a player over two decades.”In Game 3 of that series, first-year coach Derek Fisher benched the entire starting five near the end of the third quarter, including Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike and Alana Beard. ESPN reported that the decision may have had to do with Toler’s comments after Game 2.Holoman thanked Toler for her tenure with the team that included 20 years as GM. The Sparks won the WNBA championship in 2001, ’02 and ’06.Toler played for the Sparks from 1997 to 1999 and scored the first basket in WNBA history. After retiring in 1999, she immediately became GM and began assembling the roster that led the Sparks to their first league title in 2001.Holoman called Toler “a foundational figure” in the growth of the league and wished her the best in the future.ADVERTISEMENT Daybreak as smoke, ash billows from Taal volcano PLAY LIST 01:04Daybreak as smoke, ash billows from Taal volcano01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown LOOK: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Part 3 takes you straight to hell with a Music Video and First Look-Images MOST READ FILE – In this Dec. 7, 2018, file photo, Los Angeles Sparks executive vice president and general manager Penny Toler poses during a WNBA basketball news conference in Los Angeles. Toler was fired by the Sparks on Friday, Oct. 4, 2019. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles Sparks fired general manager Penny Toler on Friday, a move that followed a postgame tirade when the team lost Game 2 in the second round of the WNBA playoffs.The team said Eric Holoman, the team’s managing partner and governor, will replace Toler as GM and executive vice president on an interim basis while a national search is conducted.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Taal Volcano island 2 days after eruption View comments Francis Kong, Jason Magbanua headline ‘The School for the Passionate, New Bold U 2020’ No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientistcenter_img Shields-Habazin called off after altercation at weigh-in ‘People evacuated on their own’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Taal Volcano eruption: House to develop rehab plan for Batangas, Cavite, Laguna Taal Volcano’s lava fountain weakens, but Phivolcs says it’s not sign of slowing down Negros Occidental gov’t, church call for prayers for safety of Taal evacuees The Sparks finished atop the Western Conference with a 22-12 regular-season record. But they were swept in three games by the Connecticut Sun in the postseason.ESPN reported Thursday that Toler entered the Sparks’ locker room after the loss on Sept. 19 and launched into an obscenity-laced speech that included racial slurs. Toler, who is black, acknowledged using the slurs but told ESPN they weren’t directed at any of the players. She also said she shouldn’t have used racial slurs.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSAndray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai SottoSPORTSBig differenceSPORTSAlmazan status stays uncertain ahead of Game 4WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said there will be no further action by the league on the locker room incident because Toler is no longer employed by the team.“The type of language reportedly used has no place in our league,” Engelbert’s statement said. “The WNBA takes pride in being one of the most diverse leagues in professional sports that fosters an inclusive and respectful environment.last_img read more

read more

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Most of the library’s regular programs will continue to be held at the temporary location, but some will move to other venues. The library’s Nov. 15 afternoon special, “I Wanna Be a Dog,” featuring storyteller Karen Rae Kraut, will be at 3:45 p.m. at Broadoaks Elementary School, 930 E. Lemon Ave. The “Thanksgiving Bookfeast,” scheduled for Nov. 17, will be held at the Santa Anita Family YMCA Day Care Center on Mountain Avenue behind the YMCA building. Pre-arranged literacy services and tutoring will be held at the Monrovia Community Center, 119 W. Palm Ave. Closure of the old library will clear the way for its demolition. MONROVIA – The Monrovia Public Library will close Nov. 13 and move to its temporary site at the Mary Wilcox Youth Center, 843 E. Olive Ave., on the southeast corner of Recreation Park. Beginning Dec. 17, the Youth Center will serve as the temporary library for the next 18 months. Meanwhile, a new 28,000-square-foot library will be built in Library Park, 321 S. Myrtle Ave. The new library is scheduled to be completed in spring 2009. The temporary facility will house all the library’s current children’s collection, most of the adult collection and both the adult and children’s public-use computers. The library is being financed by a parcel tax Monrovia voters approved March 6. The tax is scheduled to raise $15.5 million to build the library. emanuel.parker@sgvn.com (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4475160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

read more

first_img Wayne Rooney is just one of two players to have scored 200 Premier League goals Wayne Rooney scored the opening goal for Everton against Manchester City to reach 200 goals in the Premier League.The former Man United forward sent a first-time finish past Ederson, joining Alan Shearer as the only players to have reached that milestone since England’s top division was rebranded in 1992.Rooney, 31, remains 60 goals behind Shearer’s all-time record, and he has a real task if he wishes to overcome the former Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle forward.Fans took to Twitter to react to Rooney’s historic goal, and you can see some of the best comments below… 1last_img

read more

first_img1 Arsenal could make a sensational move to bring Alex Song back to the club after he started training with the squad again.Midfielder Song, 30, left Barcelona for Rubin Kazan in the summer of 2016 but has now been told he can leave the struggling Russian club for free.Arsene Wenger reluctantly sold Song to Barca at the peak of his powers in 2012.The Cameroon international is only 30 and the French coach is crying out for a defensive midfielder, so a deal is not out of the question if Song can prove his fitness.Arsenal could also wait until after the January transfer window deadline as Song will be available as an out of contract player. Alex Song last_img

read more

first_imgView Profile >>> Bond:No Bond Kallembach, Timothy H Booking Date:10-11-2018 – 8:39 pm Booking Date:10-11-2018 – 4:48 pm Roberts, Jessy L View Profile >>> Booking Date:10-07-2018 – 11:05 am Inmates booked into the Jail within the last 24 hours. Booking Date:10-11-2018 – 6:28 pm View Profile >>> Release Date:10-11-2018 – 1:09 pm Booking Date:10-11-2018 – 5:29 pm Perez Moreno, Julio H Booking Date:09-25-2018 – 12:13 pm Charges:35-48-4-6.1 Poss of Meth Baker, William P Bond:No Bond Booking Date:10-08-2018 – 12:57 am Brewster, Austin T View Profile >>> Bond:$705 Charges:35-44-3-6 Failure to Appear35-42-2-1.3(B2) Domm Batt in pres of child Release Date:10-11-2018 – 1:54 pm Bond:No Bond Charges:3 Out of County Hold Release Date:10-11-2018 – 9:54 am Bond:No Bond Release Date:10-11-2018 – 7:39 pm Frazier, Andrew H Booking #:99983 View Profile >>> Booking #:100114 Collins, Nicholas J Bond:No Bond Charges:35-43-4-2 A Theft Charges:3 Out of County Hold Bond:$1505 View Profile >>> Release Date:10-11-2018 – 12:39 pm Crockett, William S Rollins, Connie Scenter_img Charges:2 Transport Order-Adult Release Date:10-11-2018 – 11:23 am Bond:$755 Booking #:100115 Charges:34-47-3 Indirect Contempt View Profile >>> Bond:No Bond Charges:35-42-2-1.3(B2) Domm Batt in pres of child Booking #:100092 Bond:No Bond Bond:$1505 Booking Date:12-15-2017 – 11:21 am Booking #:100110 Booking #:100012 View Profile >>> View Profile >>> View Profile >>> Booking #:100090 Charges:35-48-4-8.3 Possession of Paraphernalia35-45-1-5 Common Nuisance16-42-19-18 Poss of Syringe Booking #:98213 Burton, Sheena A Release Date:10-11-2018 – 11:09 am View Profile >>> Charges:35-48-4-6.1 Poss of Meth9-24-19-2 DWS- Prior Unrelated Violation Bond:$1505 Booking Date:09-26-2018 – 11:25 am Booking #:100113 Ross, Johnnie D Booking #:100095 Booking Date:10-07-2018 – 4:57 am Charges:9-30-5-1(c) Operating w/Cont Sub or Matabo in body9-24-19-1 Driving While Suspended – INFR Booking Date:10-10-2018 – 10:30 pm Release Date:10-11-2018 – 8:54 am Booking #:100112 Charges:9-30-5-1(b) BAC .15% or greater9-30-5-2 Operating Vehicle While Intox9-24-18-1 Never Receiving Driver License Booking #:100020 Booking Date:09-19-2018 – 4:30 pm View Profile >>> Forrest, Jeffrey L Inmates released from the Jail within the last 24 hours.last_img read more

read more