By MELISSA MEEHAN THEY are stars in their own right, and Grade 6 students in Emerald now have it on…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Kyra Gillespie Scores of Bob Dylan fans packed out the Bunjil Place Studio for the highly-anticipated show DYLANesque –…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
We are young Mainland China virus cases exceed 40,000; deaths rise to 908 Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. BREAKING: Solicitor General asks SC to forfeit ABS CBN’s franchise Clemente, a longtime Hall of Famer for the Pirates, died on New Year’s Eve in 1972 while on a charter plane that crashed after takeoff. The plan was carrying relief aid to Nicaragua following an earthquake.“What Roberto Clemente stood for, his family is living proof of what it was to not only be a professional athlete, but professional human being,” Granderson said. “The importance of knowing that his community is what made him who he was, and the reason why he was able to be where he was, and he never forgot that, whether his community was in Pittsburgh, where he played, or his hometown where he was able to go back to in the offseason, or during the season to help out at any time no matter what was going on.”Granderson is the fourth player from the Mets to win the award, joining Gary Carter (1989), Al Leiter (2000) and Carlos Delgado (2006). Pirates outfielder Andrew McCutchen was recognized last year.ADVERTISEMENT View comments EDITORS’ PICK Read Next “It’s really cool to get a chance to be here with my mom and dad, who made me who I am today,” he said. “Chicago’s always been home. Though I’ve played for teams outside of Chicago, but this is what helped me to get me where I am today.”The 35-year-old Granderson helps run baseball clinics and character development programs through the Grand Kids Foundation, which he created in 2007. He made a $5 million donation to UIC for the construction of indoor/outdoor baseball facility that opened in 2014.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra teammates show love for SlaughterSPORTSWe are youngSPORTSCone plans to speak with Slaughter, agentThe three-time All-Star also helps raise money for several charities in New York and has been active with the Mets’ military appreciation work.“He really is a deserving recipient of this great award,” Commissioner Rob Manfred said. Smart hosts first 5G-powered esports exhibition match in PH 30 Filipinos from Wuhan quarantined in Capas MOST READ Team ‘Trabaho’ scores championship title at the last leg of Smart Siklab Saya Manila BREAKING: Solicitor General asks SC to forfeit ABS CBN’s franchise Brad Pitt wins his first acting Oscar as awards get underway New York Mets’ Curtis Granderson smiles at a news conference as he receives the 2016 MLB Roberto Clemente Award before Game 3 of the Major League Baseball World Series Friday, Oct. 28, 2016, in Chicago. APCHICAGO — Winning the Roberto Clemente Award meant a lot to Curtis Granderson. Accepting the honor in front of his parents in his hometown made the moment even sweeter for the New York Mets outfielder.Granderson received baseball’s biggest honor for sportsmanship and community involvement before Game 3 of the World Series on Friday night at Wrigley Field. Granderson is from the Chicago suburb of Blue Island and played college ball at the University of Illinois-Chicago.ADVERTISEMENT 76ers apologize for canceling ‘We Matter’ anthem singer Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town Ginebra teammates show love for Slaughter
Six zestful young ladies will take to the stage of the National Cultural Centre on February 19, to compete for the title of Miss Mash Queen Guyana 2017. This pageant has returned after a decade hiatus and Simpli Royal is making sure it returns with a bang. Registration for suitable delegates between the ages 17-30 ended and it has come down to the final six. The delegates are Ashanti Jasper, Aquaila Rupan, Keleisha Kelly, Younette Stepheny, Romichelle Brumell and Gabriella Chapman. These beauties were revealed to the public on Sunday last at the Umana Yana, in Georgetown. On pageant night, the delegates will participate in the opening fanfare and introduction, talent piece, swimwear competition, evening gown display and an onstage interview. Tickets for the pageant cost 00, 00 and 00 and are available at the National Cultural Centre.
The UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, has acknowledged receipt of a joint letter from President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and her Ivorian counterpart, Alassane Ouattara, regarding the drawdown of the United Nations Missions in Liberia (UNMIL), the Executive Mansion has disclosed in a press release in Monrovia yesterday.Mr. Ban has meanwhile promised to submit the request to the UN Security Council shortly, adding that it is important to ensure that Liberia maintains the momentum in its reconstruction and transition processes. He urged the Liberian government to solicit resources to strengthen its security sector, especially the Liberia National Police (LNP). Mr. Ban praised the strong ties and excellent cooperation subsisting among member states of the Mano River Union (MRU) and the sub-regional body, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). President Ouattara announced the request in January when he closed a three-day Joint Council of Chiefs and Elders Meeting (JCCEM) held between Liberia and La Côte d’Ivoire.He vowed to speak with Mr. Ban Ki-moon on extending the mandate of UNMIL beyond 2016.President Ouattara stated that when he speaks with the Mr. Ban, he will ask him to extend the presence of UNMIL forces in Liberia until the 2017 elections are over.However, in a statement issued in January, UNMIL said that it would proceed with the extraction of its troops, but would maintain a contingent, at least 1500 strong, stationed in La Cote d’Ivoire to be dispatched to Liberia only in the case of “extreme need.”Mr. Ouattara emphasized, “I am sure that Mr. Ban Ki-moon will listen to us.”In a related development, Mr. Ban has spoken of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which he expressed the hope that Liberia would take ownership of and disclosed that the UN is preparing to organize two high-level meetings on the SDGs and climate change in April 2016. According to an Executive Mansion dispatch, Mr. Ban appealed for President Sirleaf’s participation at these high-level events, which he said will be followed immediately by a signing ceremony of the Climate Change Agreement reached in 2015 in Paris, France. On the issue of the joint letter from Presidents Sirleaf and Ouattara, Liberia’s Foreign Minister Marjon Kamara has requested Mr. Ban to give the matter due consideration and noted that the Liberian National Police (LNP) needs to do more, assuring that she would continue to be an advocate for adequate resources for the police. On the SDGs, Minister Kamara informed Mr. Ban that Liberia has begun taking actions, including a briefing provided to the Cabinet so that they have a general knowledge and understanding of the development initiatives. She informed him of a formal launch of the SDGs to create awareness in Liberia. She indicated that a team from the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and the African Union Commission (AUC) are expected to begin work to align the SDGs with Liberia’s development initiatives, including the Agenda for Transformation (AfT), and Vision 2030. Madam Kamara also said Africa’s Vision 2063 would be integrated into the national development programs.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
0Shares0000LIBREVILLE, Equatorial Guinea, January 26 – Equatorial Guinea grabbed the headlines on day five of the Africa Cup of Nations with a stunning defeat of Senegal to become the first team into the quarter-finals.The 2012 co-hosts and competition rookies secured their passage to the last eight with a 2-1 win over the Group A favourites at a rain-sodden pitch in Bata.An astonishing achievement for a side rated a lowly 151 in FIFA’s world rankings. And they did it the hard way, Iban ‘Randy’ Iyanga putting them into a 62nd minute lead only for Moussa Sow to level a minute from time.But David Alvarez hit back in the fourth minute of injury time to create history for this central West African nation.Alvarez burst into tears when the final whistle sounded as the crowd went beserk.Their achievement was all the more notable considering teams of the calibre of Egypt, winners in 2006, 2008, and 2010, Cameroon, Nigeria, South Africa and Nigeria couldn’t even make it through qualifying.For Senegal the result spelled an embarrassing early flight home, this defeat coming on the back of their opening 2-1 loss to Zambia combined with the Zambians’ 2-2 draw with Libya in the other Group A match Wednesday.Victorious captain Juvenal said: “We were a little lucky to score the second goal in the last few seconds! It’s fantastic for us and our supporters. We’re very hopeful for the future.“Now we want to beat Zambia in our last match because we want to finish top of the group.”Senegal coach Amara Traore commented: “I congratulate Equatorial Guinea for qualifying.“As for us, we tried everything, I’m content for my players, they gave their all. I am frustrated though, as we came here to make an impact.”Glory for Equatorial Guinea has swelled their bank balances too.They picked up a $1 million bonus from the son of the country’s president for Monday’s 1-0 defeat of Libya, with another bonus on its way for their heroics against Senegal.Zambia’s match against Libya was preceded by a deluge which rendered the pitch virtually unplayable.Ahmed Osman struck early in each half for the Libyans but his goals were cancelled out as Emmanuel Mayuka and captain Christopher Katongo netted.Libya, whose players risked their lives to fulfil qualifying fixtures while a civil war raged in the north African country, retain a mathematical chance of making the last eight.The kick-off was delayed 76 minutes after torrential late-afternoon rain dotted the pitch at the 35,000-seat stadium with mini lakes.Efforts to clear puddles of varying sizes included the use of brooms, long and short planks of wood and the belated appearance of a machine which speeded up the process.Katongo questioned the decision to stage the game.“It wasn’t easy and I’m quite disappointed the referee took this decision. It was only in the middle of the pitch that we could play a bit, everywhere else it was ping-pong, and we don’t know how to play ping-pong,” he said.“Our game is on the ground, and the ball wouldn’t move. We did what we could – the ref made a decision, a human being can make a mistake.”Libya’s Brazilian coach Marcos Paqueta said: “It was hard for both teams to play in these conditions.“I think the result was deserved. We were up against a very good Zambia side, the group favourites. We still have a chance to qualify.”Thursday’s Group B programme sees Sudan up against Angola and Ivory Coast taking on Burkina Faso.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Rose says Tourmaline can generate returns at low-end price comparable to U.S. shale producers of $2.50 per million cubic feet of gas, which is among the lowest in the region. The benchmark Alberta natural gas price was trading at $3.28 per gigajoule on Tuesday.Tourmaline bulked up its position in the Montney with a $1.4 billion acquisition of assets from Royal Dutch Shell in October. The company hopes to cut back operating costs at those assets from around $5.50 per barrel of oil equivalent to about $3.50 per boe, which is in line with its existing assets.On average, wells in the B.C. section of Montney cost about half of the average well in the Marcellus gas field, at about $4.8 million per well, though Marcellus wells typically produce twice the volume over their lifetime. According to public data, wells in the Utica are roughly three times as expensive, at an average $13.7 million, and produce double the volume of a typical northern Montney well.Story courtesy The Financial Post: http://business.financialpost.com/news/one-of-north-americas-top-plays-why-the-montney-is-canadas-answer-to-u-s-shale.Advertisement CALGARY, A.B. — According to an article in the Financial Post, the Montney formation is gradually positioning itself as a serious rival to U.S. shale fields, as companies operating in the basin aggressively scale back their operating costs.The unlocking of large shale gas fields in the northeastern and northern United States, namely the Marcellus and Utica fields, has created stiffer competition for Canadian gas companies in recent years, as they fight for investment dollars amid low commodity prices.Tourmaline Oil Corp. CEO Mike Rose says that he thinks, “Canada’s got two natural gas plays that compete toe-to-toe with the best U.S. gas plays—that’s the Montney in Alberta and B.C. and the Alberta Deep Basin.” The potential of the Montney formation, due both to its size and liquids-rich geology, has been known for many years. The basin holds around 449 trillion cubic feet of marketable natural gas, which according to National Energy Board estimates is just under half of Canada’s total natural gas reserves.- Advertisement -Analysts say recent cost-cutting measures in the Montney have outpaced analyst expectations, and think there is room to further decrease costs.In a recent research note, analysts at BMO Capital Markets said that, “The super liquids-rich window of the Montney in British Columbia will emerge as one of the top plays in Western Canada and perhaps in North America.”The analysts outlined a handful of medium and small-cap companies in the region that have either met or outperformed expectations on well their results.Advertisement
Some members of the audience said they were surprised by Schwarzenegger’s comments. “I’m sitting shaking my head not believing that someone would be so naive and out of it that he would say something like that,” said Alex Nogales, president and CEO of the National Hispanic Media Coalition. Nogales said immigrants need Spanish-language media to stay informed and “function in this society.” Pilar Marrero, the political editor for the Spanish-language newspaper La Opinion, chuckled at the governor’s comments, saying many Hispanics didn’t have time to learn English. “They’re too busy working,” she said. Rafael Olmeda, president of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, said most NAHJ members would agree with the governor’s statements. “Most people I’ve spoken to walked away believing that he was trying to say that we must learn English to succeed in American society,” Olmeda said. The Governor’s Office said the statements were no different from what he’s said before. In an editorial published in the San Jose Mercury News last year, Schwarzenegger said English-language immersion is the best way to learn the language. In October, the governor was criticized by Democrats when he said some Mexican immigrants “try to stay Mexican” when they come to the United States and urged them to learn English and U.S. history and “make an effort to become part of America. Schwarzenegger has garnered more Hispanic support than most Republican governors in the past two elections, despite some seemingly anti-immigration blunders – such as praising the Minutemen border militia group on a talk-radio show.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN FRANCISCO – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s remarks that immigrants should avoid Spanish-language media if they want to learn English quickly left some Hispanic journalists still shaking their heads Thursday. “You’ve got to turn off the Spanish television set” and stay away from Spanish-language television, books and newspapers, the Republican governor had said Wednesday night at a convention of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists in San Jose. “You’re just forced to speak English, and that just makes you learn the language faster.” Schwarzenegger, who immigrated to the U.S. from Austria, was responding to a question about how Hispanic students can improve academic performance. The audience included many journalists who work for Spanish-language media outlets. “I know this sounds odd, and this is the politically incorrect thing to say, and I’m going to get myself in trouble,” he said. “But I know that when I came to this country, I very rarely spoke German to anyone.”
Joao Moutinho in action for Monaco Long-time Tottenham target Joao Moutinho has revealed he wants to play in the Premier League one day.The Monaco midfielder has often been linked with a move to England in the past and he almost joined Spurs from Porto in 2012 for £24m.However, despite flying to London, the deal for the Portugal international collapsed and he ended up signing for Monaco a year later instead.But now the 30-year-old has admitted he still harbours hope of plying his trade in the Premier League, even though he is happy in France.“I have always said I would like to play in the English league,” Moutinho told Le Parisien.“But for the moment I am happy at Monaco.” 1
Izzy Brown scored the crucial goal for David Wagner’s side 1 Izzy Brown hit the only goal of the game as Huddersfield secured their Sky Bet Championship play-off place with a 1-0 win against Wolves at Molineux.On-loan Chelsea striker Brown, who was making his first start since suffering a knee injury against Bristol City last month, struck with his eighth goal of the season from 20 yards in the 31st minute.Huddersfield had gone into the game knowing that a win would secure them a place in the play-offs as they responded in style to losing 4-1 at home to Fulham last time out.Wolves slipped to only their third defeat in 11 matches but again toiled in front of their own fans as they failed to score for the third successive home game.Wolves were forced into a late change when goalkeeper Andy Lonergan was injured in the warm-up and was replaced by Harry Burgoyne.But it was Burgoyne’s opposite number, Danny Ward, who was first into action when he did well to hold on to a near-post header from Dave Edwards in the 10th minute.Huddersfield’s reaction to that let-off was instant and should have led to them taking the lead only for Nahki Wells to blaze over the bar from 14 yards.Wells was then presented with another chance following a cross from former Wolves winger Rajiv van La Parra in the 23rd minute and although this time he managed to get his shot on target it was comfortably dealt with by Burgoyne.Brown then showed Wells the way to goal in stunning style after being fed by Aaron Mooy.Brown let fly from 20 yards and the ball whistled past Burgoyne’s outstretched right hand.Wolves sought a quick response and would have got one but for Ward who again saved a header from Edwards following a Ben Marshall free-kick.Ward and the post then combined to deny Wolves an equaliser eight minutes into the second-half when Andreas Weimann had his shot saved and from the follow-up Edwards saw his effort from an acute angle hit the woodwork.But their hopes of a comeback hopes should have been extinguished in the 69th minute only for substitute Collin Quaner to drill his shot wide after Wolves had failed to clear a Mooy free-kick.Quaner then shot straight at Burgoyne from close range 10 minutes later and had a third effort blocked but Wolves were unable to take advantage of his profligacy in front of goal.