Rodrigo Lambre (BRA) knew the expansive field at Thunderbird Show Park suited his horse impeccably, and he called on his longtime partner Chapilot’s strengths to win the $35,000 CSIO5* Artisan Farms Nations Welcome, part of the 2018 Odlum Brown BC Open, Wednesday afternoon at Thunderbird Show Park, the first five-star competition to take place at the venue in its historic 45-year history. The $400,000 Longines FEI Jumping Nations Cup of Canada and the $235,000 Longines Grand Prix will highlight the week, taking place on Sunday, June 3, and Friday, June 1, respectively.Lambre, 40, and the 11-year-old Hanoverian gelding did what was almost thought to be impossible, catching the time of early leader Ashlee Bond (ISR) and Belo Horizonte in the Table A speed class. Jumping 42nd in the order, they completed the Peter Holmes (CAN) designed track in 64.27 seconds. Bond’s time was 65.08 seconds; she jumped seventh in the field of 48. Z Diamanty and Keean White (CAN) finished third, completing their round in 67.08 seconds.“Ashlee was really fast, but I’ve known my horse for a long time,” said Lambre, who’s been partnered with the bay since 2015. “There were some spots where I could take one or [more] strides out. He’s really fast in the long distances. I can always take a stride [out] when I can.”There was also an added incentive for his horse after jumping in last week’s Maui Jim Grand Prix during Thunderbird’s Canadian Premier show.“On Sunday, I had the last down in the grand prix, and I said to him, ‘If you win today, you don’t have to jump anymore this week!’” Lambre exclaimed.The Brazilian rider considers his mount a speed specialist and has a schedule of similarly formatted classes on the agenda for Chapilot, knowing the gelding will thrive.“He’s a winner,” Lambre said. “He’s not an easy horse. He has a strong canter, but every horse show he goes to, he wins a class. He’s been like that since he was eight. I just love him.“Today, I thought he could win,” he added, “and that was it!”Less Is More for Gareth Graves in CSI2* tbird WelcomeEarlier in the day, Gareth Graves (CAN) rode to top honors in the $1,000 CSI2* tbird Welcome, kicking off international competition in the Fort Grand Prix Ring in style with Jillian Halina’s Billy Pukka.The duo prevailed over the speed track against a field of 57 combinations, stopping the timers in 64.77 seconds over the 1.40m track set by Canada’s Peter Homes. Wordsworth II and Rich Fellers (USA) finished nearly two seconds back in second with their time of 66.27 seconds, while Karianne Boyce-Lockhart (USA) rode Ferro DC to third honors. That duo jumped cleanly in 67.54 seconds.Just as it was the first international class of the week, it was Graves’ first international class since jumping at Thunderbird last August. He and the 11-year-old Anglo European mare have been partnered for two years, and in that time, the 33-year-old has learned that the mare performs best with little interference.“Billy’s an interesting horse,” Graves said. “She really has everything. She appeared, at first, to be a touch cold and sort of plain, but what I’m figuring out, the less pressure you put on her, the more she flies. Today, I went to less bridle, less spur, and let her find the jumps, and she just really reacted to that in such a nice way.”Winning the class held additional meaning for Graves, as he and his team dedicated the victory to friend and colleague Jaime Guerra Piedra, who passed away unexpectedly in his sleep Tuesday evening at his home in Belgium. The Mexican show jumper was a two-time Olympic veteran.“It was a really special class for me,” Graves explained. “Jaime Guerra is a guy that I idolized forever.”Competition at the Odlum Brown BC Open CSIO5* continues Thursday with the $35,500 CSIO5* North West Rubber Cup, along with the $35,200 CSI2* Friends of tbird and the start of FEI Junior and Children’s competition. Tags: Thunderbird Show Park, Odlum Brown BC Open, Subscribe to the Horse Sport newsletter and get an exclusive bonus digital edition! We’ll send you our regular newsletter and include you in our monthly giveaways. PLUS, you’ll receive our exclusive Rider Fitness digital edition with 15 exercises for more effective riding. SIGN UP Email* Horse Sport Enews More from Horse Sport:Christilot Boylen Retires From Team SportAfter an exemplary career as one of Canada’s top Dressage riders, seven-time Olympian Christilot Boylen has announced her retirement from team competition.2020 Royal Agricultural Winter Fair CancelledFor only the second time in its history, The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair has been cancelled but plans are being made for some virtual competitions.Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Statement on 2020 EventAs the Province of Ontario starts to reopen, The Royal’s Board and staff will adhere to all recommendations put forward by government and health officials.Government Financial Assistance for Ontario FarmersOntario Equestrian has recently released this update of several financial assistance packages available, including those for farm business.
TTS/BNSF will manage, maintain and have priority access to the Schnabel railcar, which was originally designed for specific Siemens transformers, but has pin locations that allow for the movement of a wide variety of transformer designs, said BNSF.TTS engineers have also designed adapters that will allow even more transformer designs to be moved using the railcar.In addition to the KWUX 101 railcar, TTS also owns three cabooses, three more Schnabel railcars, and two 12-axle flatcars – all of which are stored in Rincon, Georgia. www.bnsflogistics.com
Team Ireland Equestrian’s showjumpers will compete at three 5 Star shows this weekend, at Calgary Spruce Meadows (CAN), Saugerties New York (USA) and Rome (ITA). Elsewhere on the showjumping circuit, Irish riders will fly the flag at Lier (BEL), Ising Am Chiemsee (GER) and Chazey Sur Ain (FRA).All Irish international entries for this week’s shows are now available to view by clicking on the individual shows under ‘FEI Entries & Results’. Live links to results from this week’s shows are also available. Follow your Team Ireland Equestrian riders on the HSI website, Facebook (Team Ireland Equestrian) and Twitter (@TeamIRLEq). Team Ireland Equestrian showjumpers in 5 star action this week Tags: Home » Disciplines News » Showjumping News » Team Ireland Equestrian showjumpers in 5 star action this week 4 September 2019, 17:15
This Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2017, photo provided by Shaun Hoffman, shows Bruno Mars, left, meeting retired professional wrestler Bruno Sammartino, right, as Mars holds Sammartino’s world champion belt, coinciding with a concert as part of Mars’ 24K Magic World Tour in Pittsburgh. (Shaun Hoffman via AP) The two met Tuesday night when the pop singing sensation’s 24K Magic World Tour stopped in Pittsburgh.Sammartino heard through friends that Mars, born Peter Gene Hernandez, was nicknamed “Bruno” by his father because he was a “chunky” baby. The wrestling legend — now 81 — was about 275 pounds in his prime and the favorite wrestler of Mars’ father.Sammartino told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he didn’t know much about Mars before the meeting, but came away “extremely impressed.”“I hope he’s like that in everyday life. He was the most humble, nicest guy,” Sammartino said. “He couldn’t have been more respectful.”Sammartino jokingly gave Mars a picture of himself in his wrestling “prime” to prove he was more muscular than chunky, and a replica of his championship belt from what was then known as the World-Wide Wrestling Federation. The group is now known as World Wrestling Entertainment, or WWE.Mars posted a picture of the meeting on Instagram saying, “I was nicknamed after this professional wrestler Bruno Sammartino. Tonight in Pittsburgh I had the honor of meeting him!”Mars, 31, told the website RapUP in a May 2010 interview that his dad nicknamed him for the wrestler.“Bruno is after Bruno Sammartino, who was this big fat wrestler. I guess I was this chunky little baby, so my dad used to call me that as a nickname,” Mars said. “The Mars came up just because I felt like I didn’t have no pizzazz, and a lot of girls say I’m out of this world, so I was like ‘I guess I’m from Mars.’”Sammartino said Mars got curious enough about his career to check out clips of him in YouTube. He told Sammartino that he planned to chat with his father about the meeting.“He told me, ’You know, I called my dad and told him I was going to meet with you today and he was so excited,” Sammartino said PITTSBURGH (AP) — Bruno Mars has met the man he’s nicknamed after: former pro wrestling champion Bruno Sammartino.
Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, and Conor McGregor pose for photographers during a news conference Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2017, in Las Vegas. The two are scheduled to fight in a boxing match Saturday in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher) LAS VEGAS (AP) — Floyd Mayweather Jr. says it was the first punch of the fight. His promoter thinks it came during the second round. One shot to the head, and suddenly Manny Pacquiao decided his night might better be spent fighting on the outside.“I let him know it’s not what you think it is,” Mayweather said. “You’re not just going to run in there. He felt a strength he didn’t expect.”The knock on Mayweather — and the reason some people give Conor McGregor a chance Saturday night — is that he doesn’t knock out people. Pacquiao never went down either, but Mayweather showed there are other ways to change a fight than putting a fighter on the canvas.McGregor may find that out early if he goes after Mayweather at the opening bell as expected. The prevailing theory is that McGregor wins the power battle, but there’s more than one fighter with power in this, the most unusual of fights.“When he gets hit he’s going to find out it’s totally different,” Mayweather said. “The brittle hands, they keep saying that, but when I come across his head he’ll find out that it’s totally different.”McGregor doesn’t believe that, of course and predicted again Wednesday that the fight would end early with Mayweather on his back.“I believe one or two rounds, with 8-ounce gloves I don’t see him surviving,” McGregor said. “I’m starting to think I’ll toy with him once he goes down.”The two fighters got together for the final pre-fight press conference to further hype a fight built on hype. In contrast to the bombastic tone of earlier appearances it was a relatively subdued affair at the MGM Grand.They posed together and didn’t come close to exchanging blows. They did both manage to get in a few final words, though.“It’s not going to be easy Conor,” Mayweather told his opponent. “I’ve got a great chin but remember this: The same way you give it you gotta be able to take it.”Though ticket sales have been tepid — largely because of astronomical prices — the pay-per-view is expected to be watched by some 50 million people in the United States alone and millions more worldwide.It’s half-fight, half-spectacle, a bout that matches a UFC star who has never boxed against a masterful ring technician with a record of 49-0. Born of internet hype, it has captured the curiosity of even those outside both sports and could end up being the richest fight ever.And it’s a bout Mayweather says he is taking very seriously, despite training at odd hours and holding meet-and-greets every night before the fight with fans who come to his strip club.“I’m taking a gamble,” said Mayweather, who is coming off a two-year layoff. “But it’s worth it.”Mayweather’s fight with Pacquiao ended up going 12 long rounds, and turning a lot of people off from boxing. But while Mayweather hasn’t really knocked out anyone in a decade, he says the streak will come to an end in what he insists is his final fight.Oddsmakers in this gambling town hope it’s not McGregor stopping Mayweather early as he claims. McGregor fans have placed thousands of small bets at long-shot odds of their man knocking Mayweather out in the early rounds, and sports books could suffer their worst loss ever in what is expected to be the most heavily fight ever.McGregor also believes that’s exactly what is going to happen.. He said his years in the octagon and his varied skillset will translate well into the boxing ring, especially after a three-month camp where he used a former referee to help him adjust to boxing rules.What he didn’t bring in was any boxing trainer to teach him more about the sport, insisting that the team he has always been with knows him so well that it wouldn’t have made a difference.“We added what is useful and discarded what is not,” he said. “As the final sparring session approached all the unnecessary was gone. It was a cleaner product, just the perfect product.”He was dismissive of Mayweather to the end, telling those attending the final press conference that Mayweather is not only a one dimensional fighter but more than likely not the sports bettor he claims to be when posting his winning tickets online.Perhaps, he said, that’s the reason Mayweather still owes the IRS $22.2 million in back taxes.“I think he has a big-time gambling problem,” McGregor said. “He always shows his winning bets but never his losers. Maybe that’s why he’s in the position he is and had to take this fight.”
PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to tinker with their secondary, acquiring safety J.J. Wilcox from Tampa Bay.Wilcox, a fifth-year pro who played the past four seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, was sent to the Steelers on Sunday along with a seventh-round pick in 2019 in exchange for Pittsburgh’s sixth-round pick in the 2018 draft.Wilcox had five interceptions across 58 games in four seasons in Dallas.The trade comes a day after Pittsburgh sent cornerback Ross Cockrell to the New York Giants and four days after the team signed former Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden.The Steelers also filled out their practice squad Sunday. The 10-man squad includes running back Fitzgerald Toussaint, tight end Jake McGee, wide receiver Marcus Tucker, former Pitt linebacker Matt Galambos, safety Jacob Hagen, defensive end Lavon Hooks, linebacker Farrington Huguenin and cornerback Dashaun Phillips.___This story has been corrected to include the proper terms of the trade.___For more NFL coverage: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL Dallas Cowboys safety J.J. Wilcox (27) intercepts a pass in the end zone during an NFL football game against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, December 21, 2014 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/James D Smith)
In this May 1, 2017, file photo, Baltimore Orioles’ Adam Jones prepares to bat during the first inning of a baseball game against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park in Boston. Jones says the widely condemned racial insult hurled at him at Fenway Park illustrates the need for dialogue about race and for fans to police each other. Jones spoke Saturday, May 13, 2017, at the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City while his team plays a series with the Royals. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File)BOSTON (AP) — The Boston area’s five major professional sports franchises are teaming up to fight racism.The Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, and Revolution later this month will unveil a public service project called “Take the Lead” featuring videos of athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues. Each team has agreed to prominently play the video in their venues.A few fans seated above the Green Monster dropped down a sign denouncing racism during the fourth inning of Boston’s game against Oakland at Fenway Park on Wednesday night. The sign — draped over the top middle of the 37-foot Monster — read: “Racism is as American as Baseball.” It was up for about one batter and the umpires asked it be removed because it was in fair territory.(AP Photo/File)Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells The Boston Globe (http://bit.ly/2wskZ7X ) the effort was sparked by two racist incidents at Fenway Park in May, including one in which Baltimore Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was the target of a racial slur from someone in the stands. Jones is Black.Kennedy says the pro teams “have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion” about racism.___Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.bostonglobe.com
By Mitchell Clarke and Danielle Kutchel Coronavirus cases continue to rise across the south east, with two new cases in Cardinia, 14 in Casey and seven…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you Premier attends town hall meetings TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 23 Mar 2015 – During the Budget Communication this morning in the House of Assembly, Finance Minister Washington Misick said government will spend $382 Thousand for what is being called a Hospital Contract Management Unit to oversee the current Hospitals Contract. Minister Misick said: “This will ensure that we extract maximum value for money from our expensive contract with Interhealth Canada.” Already there is some criticism coming from the Opposition Leader, Sharlene Robinson who during her contribution following the Budget Speech said the government is years delayed in establishing this Committee, pointing to the PNP Administration’s lack of seriousness in firming up a better arrangement for the People of the Turks and Caicos Islands with Interhealth Canada long ago. The hospitals get 28% of the country’s national budget. The Minister said there is a budgetary limit being set for the hospitals this fiscal year. Related Items:hospital contract team, sharlene cartwright-robinson, washington misick Attorney calls on UWI to honor TCI leaders