Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
HLPFI reported in April 2016 that site surveys were under way for the GBP10 million (USD12.3 million) development. Some 200 m of new quayside will be added and Forth Ports states that it will be some of the strongest in Scotland, with an ultra-heavy lift pad at one end. It is being built at the east end of the port and will connect with the existing Prince Charles wharf.Forth Ports says it aims to position the Port of Dundee as a decommissioning and oil and gas hub for the North Sea. Construction is scheduled for completion by the end of 2017.Charles Hammond, chief executive of Forth Ports, said: “The Forth Ports Board is fully committed to investing in the Port of Dundee to ensure that the infrastructure is in place to capitalise on the significant opportunities presented by the North Sea oil and gas and decommissioning sectors over the coming years.” www.forthports.co.uk
RFMW has signed a distribution agreement with SiTime, the market leader in MEMS timing. Under the agreement, RFMW is franchised for worldwide marketing and sales of SiTime’s portfolio of MEMS-based timing solutions. RFMW Ltd. is a specialized distributor providing customers and suppliers with focused distribution of RF and microwave components as well as specialized component-engineering support.SiTime is transforming the timing industry with high-precision timing products delivering the best stability and highest reliability in RF/wireless communications systems while operating in the most challenging environments. With RF engineering expertise and focus on value-added services, RFMW will allow a broader set of customers to experience SiTime’s expanding portfolio of RF products that deliver unmatched performance under harsh conditions such as shock, vibration, and fast temperature ramp.The addition of SiTime’s portfolio to RFMW will offer their customers unique oscillators and resonators designed to solve challenging timing issues. SiTime MEMS technology provides robust, high-reliability devices that fit into our overall timing products strategy and allows RFMW to grow business in both existing and new markets.RFMW was acquired by TTI last week, however, the company will continue to operate under its existing brand. Click here to learn more.
Terror threat levels were raised to some of their highest levels and hundreds of flights were canceled worldwide. Passengers stood in line for hours and airport trash bins bulged with everything from mouthwash and shaving cream to maple syrup and fine wine. Governors in at least three U.S. states – California, New York and Massachusetts – ordered National Guard troops to help provide security. “We want to make sure that there are no remaining threats out there, and we also want to take steps to prevent any would-be copycats who may be inspired to similar conduct,” said U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. Experts said the nature of the plot could herald a new age of terrorism where attackers have access to explosives that are easy to carry and conceal. Emergency security measures quickly implemented on Thursday provided a stark vision of the possible future of air travel. Mothers tasted baby food in front of airport security guards to prove it contained no liquid explosives. Liquids and gels were banned from flights. Travelers repacked their luggage in airports, stowing all but the most necessary items in the hold. Although plots to blow up airliners using liquid explosives are not new – such an attempt was foiled more than a decade ago – the U.S. government has been slow to upgrade its security equipment at airport checkpoints to detect explosives on passengers. U.S. authorities did not say how long the security measures would last. “We are taking the step of preventing liquids from getting into the cabin to give us time to make adjustments,” Chertoff said. The raids in Britain on Thursday followed a monthslong investigation, but U.S. intelligence officials said authorities moved quickly after learning the plotters hoped to stage a practice run within two days, with the actual attack expected just days after that. The test run was designed to see whether the plotters would be able to smuggle the needed materials aboard the planes, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity. Targeted were United, American and Continental Airlines flights from Britain to major U.S. destinations, which counterterrorism officials said probably included New York, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. “This nation is at war with Islamic fascists who will use any means to destroy those of us who love freedom, to hurt our nation,” President Bush declared. The plane bombings could have come just ahead of the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks carried out by al-Qaida. The terror group’s leader, Osama bin Laden, and his No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahri, are believed hiding along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border and have repeatedly issued tapes threatening new attacks. “In terms of scale, it was probably designed to be … a new Sept. 11,” said Jean-Charles Brisard, a French private investigator who works with lawyers of many Sept. 11 victims. “It involved the same tools, the same transportation tools and devices.” The close call also shifted attention once more to Britain’s Islamic community just over a year after the London transit attacks. Three Britons of Pakistani descent and a Jamaican convert to Islam carried out those deadly bombings with a peroxide-based explosive that trained operatives can make using ordinary ingredients such as hair bleach. In Pakistan, an intelligence official said the arrest of an Islamic militant near that border several weeks ago played a role in “unearthing the plot.” The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said some suspects arrested in Britain were linked to al-Qaida. However, authorities stopped short of accusing al-Qaida directly for the plot. A senior Pakistani government official, also speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment on the matter, said “two or three local people” suspected in the plot were arrested a few days ago in the Pakistani cities of Lahore and Karachi. French Interior Minister Nicholas Sarkozy said the group “appears to be of Pakistani origin,” but did not give a precise source for the information. Britain’s Home Office refused comment. A British police official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the investigation, said the suspects were “homegrown,” though it was not immediately clear if all were British citizens. He said authorities were working with Britain’s large South Asian community. Tariq Azim Khan, the Pakistani minister of state for information, said “these people were born and brought up in the United Kingdom. Some of them may have parents who were immigrants from Pakistan.” Raids were carried out at homes in London, the nearby town of High Wycombe and in Birmingham, in central England. Searches continued throughout the day, and police cordoned off streets in several locations. Police also combed a wooded area in High Wycombe. Hamza Ghafoor, 20, who lives across the street from one of the homes raided in Walthamstow, northeast of London, said police circled the block in vans Wednesday and that they generally swoop into the neighborhood to question “anyone with a beard.” “Ibrahim didn’t do nothing wrong,” Ghafoor said, referring to a suspect. “He played football. He goes to the mosque. He’s a nice guy.” The British government raised its threat assessment to its highest level – critical – which warns that a terrorist attack could be imminent. The U.S. government, following suit, raised its threat assessment to red alert, also its highest level, for commercial flights from Britain to the United States.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los AngelesA federal law enforcement official in Washington said that at least one martyrdom tape was found during ongoing raids across England on Thursday. Such a tape, as well as the scheme to strike a range of targets at roughly the same time, is an earmark of al-Qaida. British authorities arrested 24 people based partly on intelligence from Pakistan, where authorities detained up to three others several days earlier. More arrests were expected, the official said. The suspects were believed to be mainly British Muslims, at least some of Pakistani ancestry. A senior U.S. counterterrorism official said the suspects, whose ages ranged from 17 to the mid-30s, were looking to sneak at least some chemicals on the planes in sports drink bottles. Teams of at least two or three men were assigned to each flight, the schedules for which they had researched on the Internet, the official said. Two other U.S. officials said British, American and Pakistani investigators were trying to trace the steps of the suspects in Pakistan and were seeking to determine whether a couple of them attended terrorist training camps there. American investigators praised Britain for preventing a catastrophe. “If this plot had actually occurred, the world would have stood still,” Mark Mershon, assistant director of the FBI, told the AP in New York. LONDON – British police revealed chilling details Thursday of the terrorist plot they thwarted, describing the plan as on the scale of 9/11. If successfully carried out, the plot – possibly just days away – would have blown up U.S.-bound jetliners over the Atlantic and killed thousands. Accounts leaked by investigators described a plan that would use common electronic devices to detonate liquid explosives concealed in sports drink bottles to bring down as many as 10 planes in a nearly simultaneous strike. The bombs were to be assembled on the aircraft apparently with peroxide-based solution and everyday carry-on items such as a disposable camera or a music player, two American law enforcement officials told The Associated Press. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because Britain asked that no information be released.
A McKinsey report sees the trend towards AI as a huge opportunity for semiconductor companies. “The AI and DL revolution gives the semiconductor industry the greatest opportunity to generate value that it has had in decades. Hardware can be the differentiator that determines whether leading-edge applications reach the market and grab attention. The best semiconductor companies will understand these trends and pursue innovations that help take AI hardware to a new level.” Daniel Riek, senior director of AI for Red Hat, said that “with AI, we are back to where performance actually matters. Suddenly there is a direct business impact, and we have people talking about instruction sets and processor speeds again.” AI is affecting all aspects of both our work and life. Joel Emer, Computer Science professor at MIT, said that “many AI accomplishments were made possible because of advances in hardware. Hardware is the foundation of everything you can do in software.” It’s not just the algorithms and software where we’re seeing big technology advances. Hardware has been a key enabler of AI, if not the key. Karl Freund, Senior Analyst at Moor Insights and Strategy, said that “I cannot think of an industry that will not be impacted. From government to education to finance to healthcare to manufacturing…. AI will be pervasive.”
Touch Football is just one of the 61 sports that will be contested at the Games. It is open to anyone aged 30 years and older with so many divisions on offer, including Men’s (30+, 35+, 40+, 45+, 50+, 55+), Women’s (30+, 35+, 40+) and Mixed (30+, 35+). Australian Masters Games Project Manager, Ian Fitzpatrick, said this is one of the largest sporting festivals in the country and Adelaide is gearing up for a great event. “We expect 14,000 participants will take part in the event, with more than 10,000 athletes competing,” Fitzpatrick said. “The Games are open to such a wide portion of the community to participate. You just need to meet the minimum age requirement for the sport, which is only 30 years old for Touch and most other sports.”“Among all the sporting events there will be so much to do and see throughout the Games. An athlete village will be built in central Adelaide that will be home to all the event activities, including the opening and closing ceremonies, registration and much more,” said Mr Fitzpatrick.The Australian Masters Games provides an occasion to make the wider community aware of the benefits of sport. Also, it encourages and engages the 30 plus age group in ongoing activity that is beneficial to their long term health and wellbeing. Nominations close on Sunday, 7 August. For more information and to register for the 2011 13th Australian Masters Games, please visit the event website: www.australianmastersgames.com.au
APTN National NewsIqaluit got the royal treatment Thursday when Prince Edward and his wife Sophie dropped by for a visit as part of their Canadian tour.APTN National News reporter Kent Driscoll was there and brings this report.
Paul Barnes, Atlantic Canada and Arctic director for the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, says recent moves by the U.S. under President Donald Trump to reopen the Alaskan Arctic to drilling illustrate Canada’s “lost opportunities.”He says the ban on development creates uncertainty in the market and means Canada isn’t able to compete for investment dollars for Arctic drilling or related research, despite ongoing Arctic development by nations such as Norway and Russia.But LeBlanc says Ottawa is using its time to consult with northern people, governments and industry and come up with a science-based report to inform its review of the moratorium in 2021.“Done properly, oil and gas development can bring growth and prosperity to a region that in some cases may have been overlooked for a long time,” said LeBlanc.“However, the development … must be done properly with the full support of scientific data and research.” CALGARY, A.B. – An oil and gas industry representative says Canada is “falling behind” the U.S. and other nations in developing its rich Arctic natural resources because of a five-year moratorium on offshore drilling in the North put in place in 2016.But Northern Affairs minister Dominic LeBlanc defends the ban as a necessary device to ensure the resource is developed in a way that is environmentally sensitive, allows Indigenous input and is based on science.The debate touched off in 2016 when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and then-U.S. president Barack Obama announced offshore Arctic development restrictions is being revisited at the Arctic Oil & Gas Symposium in Calgary.
Bordeaux – The Minister of Communication and government spokesman, Mustapha El Khalfi, said on Thursday that the ambassador was asked to come back to the Kingdom because of “Algeria’s aggressive position on the Moroccan Sahara.”Mr. El Khalfi, who was speaking at a press conference after the cabinet meeting, stressed that it “was impossible for Morocco to ignore the unprecedented hostility of Algiers regarding a decisive national cause, namely the Western Sahara issue.”Recalling the Algerian president’s message during a meeting in Abuja with a group of individuals who are hostile to Morocco on 28 October, the government spokesman pointed out that “it is not coming from an organization, committee or Human Rights group, but a message from the highest authority in Algeria. “ This message “contains allegations on several topics concerning Human Rights that Morocco could not ignore,” he added.Mr. El Khalfi noted that Morocco has made this decision in order to defend its choice on a national issue, noting that it is not only about an international mechanism for monitoring human rights, and the request to extend the powers of MINURSO, but rather the growing hostility towards Morocco.The official said that any decision on this issue will be announced in due time, adding that Morocco has launched an information campaign to clarify its position. The government is to organize a meeting with the country’s political parties in order to explain the Kingdom’s position. © Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed
Embed Code FiveThirtyEight More: Apple Podcasts | ESPN App | RSS | Embed Welcome to the latest episode of Hot Takedown, FiveThirtyEight’s sports podcast. On this week’s show (Nov. 8 , 2016), we chat about Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott and wonder if the numbers can tell us anything about whether the Cowboys should start Tony Romo when he is healthy again. Then we preview FiveThirtyEight’s college football predictions and Neil Paine explains why working out the selection committee’s rankings makes forecasting the playoff a little harder than usual. Finally, new FiveThirtyEight sports writer Chris Herring joins to chat about bad teams in the NBA and whether the process is finally beginning to pay off for the Philadelphia 76ers. Plus, a special Election Day quiz on the best presidents in American history.Links to what we discussed:Neil Paine says Dak Prescott is already playing as well as Tony Romo ever has.ESPN Stats & Info explains why Dak Prescott was the best quarterback in the NFL last weekend.Neil Paine explains how FiveThirtyEight is predicting this year’s College Football Playoff.You can find the site’s predictions here.Tom Ziller at SB Nation says the New Orleans Pelicans and Anthony Davis are probably destined for a sad future.If you want to check out the historical rankings of U.S. presidents that we discussed at the end of the show, you can find them here.And Julia Azari wrote about how scholarly rankings of presidents are correlated with the presidents’ years of experience.