Rodrigo Lambre Nabs First Win at Thunderbird’s CSIO5*

first_imgRodrigo Lambre (BRA) knew the expansive field at Thunderbird Show Park suited his horse impeccably, and he called on his longtime partner Chapilot’s strengths to win the $35,000 CSIO5* Artisan Farms Nations Welcome, part of the 2018 Odlum Brown BC Open, Wednesday afternoon at Thunderbird Show Park, the first five-star competition to take place at the venue in its historic 45-year history. The $400,000 Longines FEI Jumping Nations Cup of Canada and the $235,000 Longines Grand Prix will highlight the week, taking place on Sunday, June 3, and Friday, June 1, respectively.Lambre, 40, and the 11-year-old Hanoverian gelding did what was almost thought to be impossible, catching the time of early leader Ashlee Bond (ISR) and Belo Horizonte in the Table A speed class. Jumping 42nd in the order, they completed the Peter Holmes (CAN) designed track in 64.27 seconds. Bond’s time was 65.08 seconds; she jumped seventh in the field of 48. Z Diamanty and Keean White (CAN) finished third, completing their round in 67.08 seconds.“Ashlee was really fast, but I’ve known my horse for a long time,” said Lambre, who’s been partnered with the bay since 2015. “There were some spots where I could take one or [more] strides out. He’s really fast in the long distances. I can always take a stride [out] when I can.”There was also an added incentive for his horse after jumping in last week’s Maui Jim Grand Prix during Thunderbird’s Canadian Premier show.“On Sunday, I had the last down in the grand prix, and I said to him, ‘If you win today, you don’t have to jump anymore this week!’” Lambre exclaimed.The Brazilian rider considers his mount a speed specialist and has a schedule of similarly formatted classes on the agenda for Chapilot, knowing the gelding will thrive.“He’s a winner,” Lambre said. “He’s not an easy horse. He has a strong canter, but every horse show he goes to, he wins a class. He’s been like that since he was eight. I just love him.“Today, I thought he could win,” he added, “and that was it!”Less Is More for Gareth Graves in CSI2* tbird WelcomeEarlier in the day, Gareth Graves (CAN) rode to top honors in the $1,000 CSI2* tbird Welcome, kicking off international competition in the Fort Grand Prix Ring in style with Jillian Halina’s Billy Pukka.The duo prevailed over the speed track against a field of 57 combinations, stopping the timers in 64.77 seconds over the 1.40m track set by Canada’s Peter Homes. Wordsworth II and Rich Fellers (USA) finished nearly two seconds back in second with their time of 66.27 seconds, while Karianne Boyce-Lockhart (USA) rode Ferro DC to third honors. That duo jumped cleanly in 67.54 seconds.Just as it was the first international class of the week, it was Graves’ first international class since jumping at Thunderbird last August. He and the 11-year-old Anglo European mare have been partnered for two years, and in that time, the 33-year-old has learned that the mare performs best with little interference.“Billy’s an interesting horse,” Graves said. “She really has everything. She appeared, at first, to be a touch cold and sort of plain, but what I’m figuring out, the less pressure you put on her, the more she flies. Today, I went to less bridle, less spur, and let her find the jumps, and she just really reacted to that in such a nice way.”Winning the class held additional meaning for Graves, as he and his team dedicated the victory to friend and colleague Jaime Guerra Piedra, who passed away unexpectedly in his sleep Tuesday evening at his home in Belgium. The Mexican show jumper was a two-time Olympic veteran.“It was a really special class for me,” Graves explained. “Jaime Guerra is a guy that I idolized forever.”Competition at the Odlum Brown BC Open CSIO5* continues Thursday with the $35,500 CSIO5* North West Rubber Cup, along with the $35,200 CSI2* Friends of tbird and the start of FEI Junior and Children’s competition. Tags: Thunderbird Show Park, Odlum Brown BC Open, Subscribe to the Horse Sport newsletter and get an exclusive bonus digital edition! We’ll send you our regular newsletter and include you in our monthly giveaways. PLUS, you’ll receive our exclusive Rider Fitness digital edition with 15 exercises for more effective riding. SIGN UP Email* Horse Sport Enews More from Horse Sport:Christilot Boylen Retires From Team SportAfter an exemplary career as one of Canada’s top Dressage riders, seven-time Olympian Christilot Boylen has announced her retirement from team competition.2020 Royal Agricultural Winter Fair CancelledFor only the second time in its history, The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair has been cancelled but plans are being made for some virtual competitions.Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Statement on 2020 EventAs the Province of Ontario starts to reopen, The Royal’s Board and staff will adhere to all recommendations put forward by government and health officials.Government Financial Assistance for Ontario FarmersOntario Equestrian has recently released this update of several financial assistance packages available, including those for farm business.last_img read more

Holmwood, Excelsior already thinking about AFNA tournament

first_imgLast year, Excelsior walked away with top honours at the inaugural Americas Federation of Netball Associations (AFNA) tournament, which was held on local soil, after getting the better of Holmwood Technical 46-27.At this year’s staging, Gaynstead, the country only representative at the championships, which was held in St Maarten, following the withdrawal of Denbigh, made it two wins from two attempts for Jamaican teams, after a 37-21 win over Christchurch from Barbados.This year, Excelsior will by joined by Holmwood as the country’s representatives at the tournament after their recent ISSA Senior All-Island final, which Holmwood won 40-36 to avenge their 2017 defeat.Both coaches, Carline Graham-Powell of Holmwood and Christopher Smart of Excelsior, are already looking forward to the regional tournament, scheduled for next summer, as they hope to continue the Jamaican dominance.The Christiana-based Holmwood contingent will be determined to turn the tables this time around on their compatriots, and in their line-up will be at least three players, who were part of their second-place finishing team from two years ago.“The girls had been talking about this tournament before the Rural finals and this was really a big motivation factor on their success this season,” said Graham-Powell. “We will be taking a break from training for the rest of the year, while myself and the management staff put plans in place for this tournament.”The coach is confident that her team will take home the title this time around.“Now after playing against Excelsior in the All-Island final, we had a feel of them and now know what they have to offer and we will be working out on what we have to do to go all the way,” she said.For the 2017 champions Excelsior, it will be a brand new team which will be aiming for their second AFNA title. MORE CHALLENGING “We did not bring home the All-Island title this time around, but I am still proud of my girls, because they defied the odds and reached the final and are now motivated to try and regain our title. I know this time it will be more challenging as we are not looking on Holmwood alone who are our main challengers, but also on other Caribbean teams,” said Smart.Like his Holmwood counterpart, Smart stated that his team will be taking a break.“The girls will be taking a break for the rest of the year as we have some six months to go. It is an expensive trip, so I will sit down with my management team to plan on how we are going to realise the funds to make it possible,” Smart stated.last_img read more

Project Restart: Premier League doctors raise concerns over resuming season

first_img(BBC) A number of Premier League club doctors have raised a range of concerns with league bosses over plans to resume the season, BBC Sport has learned. One issue that the senior medics have sought assurances over includes their own liability and insurance cover if players contract the virus.The Premier League has also been asked to provide some clarity over medical protocols, testing and player welfare.The Premier League is hopeful of a potential 8 June resumption. The 20 club doctors have been holding their own discussions about Project Restart – the label given to plans to resume action – with a view to feeding their thoughts into the Premier League’s leadership.A Premier League source told the BBC that they viewed the move by the medics as a natural part of the process with clubs, and a means of reaching “the best possible set of protocols”.They also confirmed that the league was in talks with insurance companies over the issue of club and doctor liability, and that this would be brought up with government representatives this week. The Premier League is represented on a cross-sport working group of medical experts and public health officials which will meet for the second time in a week tomorrow.The panel is devising the health and hygiene measures that players, managers and club staff will be asked to agree to before full training and then competition can resume, but only if the government deems it safe to do so.The government is set to review its lockdown measures later this week, with the Premier League meeting to vote on the plans next Monday. A number of players and sports medics have already voiced their concerns about whether it is safe to return to action. Eamonn Salmon, the chief executive of the Football Medicine and Performance Association (FMPA), has told BBC Sport that opinion among doctors and physios at English football clubs regarding resumption plans was varied.Speaking last week, he said: “I guess the views of our members will be a kind of snapshot of society really.“There are those who think it can be done, there are those that are doubtful and there are those that probably suggest it is an impossible task. “We have to wait, this is a waiting game all the time, it is such a changing landscape and fluctuating on a day to day basis.“This is just the start in some respects, whatever proposals are put there it is then open to debate and for comment and opinion to feed into that.”If training is resumed before social distancing rules are relaxed, BBC Sport understands players will be tested for coronavirus twice a week and would be screened for symptoms every day.All tests would be carried out by health professionals at a drive-through NHS testing facility that each club would have access to. Training grounds will be optimised for social distancing and high hygiene levels. In addition:Players must arrive at training grounds in kit and wear masks at all times.They must not shower or eat on the premises. If clubs want to provide players with food, it must be delivered as a takeaway to players’ cars. Only essential medical treatment would be allowed, with all medical staff in full PPE.All meetings and reviews must take place virtually and off-site.In Germany, where the Bundesliga is set to become the first major football league in Europe to return to competition, 10 positive results have been returned from 1,724 coronavirus tests from clubs in the top two divisions. Cubs have been training in groups and the tests are being taken before a planned return to training as teams.Measures including “the isolation of the affected person” have been taken, said the DFL.Top-flight side Cologne have had no further Covid-19 infections after three people tested positive last week. Bundesliga officials suggested resuming on 9 May but the government delayed the decision and a restart may now be on 16 or 23 May.last_img read more

Tangled up in Dylan story

first_imgBy Kyra Gillespie Scores of Bob Dylan fans packed out the Bunjil Place Studio for the highly-anticipated show DYLANesque –…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Galway Community Games Hosts GAA Finals

first_imgThe first Semi Final commenced at 10.00am in the U/14 Camogie with Woodford beating Gurteen Ballymacward in the first Semi and Bullaun/New Inn coming through in the second Semi against Portumna setting up a Final of Woodford v Bullaun/New Inn At 11am, the Semis in U/11 Hurling with Bullaun/NewInn beating Beagh and Moycullen beating Oranmore Maree.Well done to all the teams that took part today and congratulationsto the winners, who will now represent Galway at the Aldi Community GamesConnacht Final taking place in Ballinasloe on Saturday 13th July.  Allexcept for the U11 Hurlers from Oranmore Maree who will go straight through tothe National Finals in UL 16th to 18th August.  Big thanks to the referees, John McDonagh, Kevin Egan, Enda Loughnane, Pat Hansberry and Charlie Ward and to Ballinderreen GAA Pitch Committee, for allowing us to play in their fine facilities. We were honoured to have two All Stars, Frank Lohan,Clare Hurling All Star and Ray Silke, Galway Football All Star, whopresented the County Medals and Trophies to the young U/11 hurlers andU/10 footballers. In fact way back in 1998, Ray who was Captain of the AllIreland winning Galway Footballers presented the same trophy to PaulConroy who was then captain of the Renmore U/10’s County winners. Theresults of the Five Finals as follow…U/14Camogie Final   Bullaun New Inn 3 – 8 (17)  Woodford 2 – 1 (7)         U/11Hurling FinalOranmore-Maree 4 – 6 (18) Bullaun New Inn 4 – 4 (16)U/10 Gaelic Football Final Moycullen 7 – 7 (28) Oranmore/Maree 3 – 12 (21) (AET) U/12 Girls Gaelic FootballSkehana/Menlough2 – 3 (9) Dunmore 0-3 (3)U/14Girls Gaelic Football Final Caherlistrane Kilcoonagh 4 – 9 (21) Dunmore 4–7 (19)print WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email A feast of sport took place in Ballinderreen whenGalway Community Games played two Semi Finals and the Final in the U/14 Camogie,two Semi Finals and a Final in the in U/11 Hurling and Finals in U/10 GaelicFootball and U/12 and U/14 Girls Gaelic football. Despite thundery downpoursfrom start to finish there were some super games played with the skills shownby these young players would put senior teams to shame.last_img read more

Brentford set to send new signing out on loan

first_img Jack O’Connell Brentford new boy Jack O’Connell is expecting to go straight out on loan after completing his deadline day switch from Blackburn.O’Connell penned a deal until 2018 after Brentford agreed an undisclosed fee with their Championship rivals, where the defender had made just one appearance at Ewood Park after coming through the ranks.The 20-year-old made 19 appearances during a loan spell at Rochdale in the first half of this campaign and he is expecting another temporary spell away before linking up with his new club permanently in the summer.He told Brentford’s official website: “I think the first thought is for me to go back to Rochdale, or another League One club, and play more games.“Then I will come back in pre-season and fight for a place. I love playing, like any player, I just want to play. I play out from the back, which is why I think Brentford is a good move for me.“Brentford are flying. This is a club that is going forward and that is what they said to me. That is one of the biggest reasons why I have signed.“I want to hit the ground running in pre-season, if I go out on loan, and then get a spot in the team.” 1last_img read more