Related Previous ArticleChina Mobile credits device range for 5G uptakeNext ArticleLG, connected car players test Verizon 5G MEC Tags Telkomsel turns on 5G in major cities Author Mobile Mix: Buzzing for Barcelona Diana is Mobile World Live’s US Editor, reporting on infrastructure and spectrum rollouts, regulatory issues, and other carrier news from the US market. Diana came to GSMA from her former role as Editor of Wireless Week and CED Magazine, digital-only… Read more US President Donald Trump’s pick for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) used a congressional hearing to argue against pursuing a nationalised 5G network, questioning the legality and backing a continued free market approach.Nathan Simington (pictured) stated his support for “the long-standing auction and commercialisation regime that has been legislated by Congress”, committing to stick by the process “unless and until Congress were to radically change direction”.He downplayed the Department of Defence’s recent interest in spectrum sharing, noting “spectrum is not a network” and “no proposals about building nationalised fibre, backhaul”, or towers had yet been made.“I’m not sure that the prospects of a so-called nationalised 5G are as real a threat as they are obviously an apparent one…But of course, that doesn’t mean that we should create uncertainty in the market by leaving the issue out there.”His comments addressed concerns from politicians and the industry about a potential national 5G move.If confirmed by Congress before the end of Trump’s term in January 2021, Simington will replace outgoing FCC Commissioner Michael O’Rielly, whose nomination for a third term was abruptly withdrawn in August after he clashed with the president.Trump pushed for Simington’s appointment on Twitter, praising him as a “very smart and qualified individual” and urging Congress to “confirm him to the FCC ASAP”. Subscribe to our daily newsletter Back Home Trump FCC pick plays down national 5G talk Diana Goovaerts Nokia scores Philippines 5G deal with Dito AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore1 12 NOV 2020 Asia 5GFederal Communications Commission (FCC)
iStock(CANTON, Miss.) — A deputy in Canton, Mississippi, was fighting for his life Thursday after being shot in the head following a high-speed chase.The incident started after police received a call around 7:15 a.m. that a man had been abducted and tied up in a home in northeast Madison County, the local Sheriff Randy Tucker said during a press conference.When deputies arrived, Tucker said the suspect fled at high speed in a vehicle, and officers followed. After the suspect crashed, that’s when he allegedly opened fire on pursuing deputies. The sheriff said officers returned fire and struck the suspect.“There were injuries to officers and the suspect,” Tucker said Thursday.At this time, Tucker said they are not releasing the names of those shot.Without identifying the victims or taking questions, Alan Jones, a doctor and the chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Mississippi Medical Center said they received a patient with a gunshot wound and was stabilized, and talking, upon arrival.“Subsequently he has been admitted to the intensive care unit in critical condition and will require some additional surgeries to help with his condition,” Jones said.Authorities said they would update the condition of the officer later on Thursday.District Attorney John Bramlett said the investigation into the incident was in the hands of the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation.“This is an example of what law enforcement officers in this country face every day,” Mississippi Public Safety Commissioner Marshall Fisher said during the press conference. “This is a tough day for all law enforcement.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.