New World Bank chief economist for Latin America, Caribbean

first_img Share Tweet Share 32 Views   no discussions Carlos Végh (Photo: National Bureau of Economic Research)WASHINGTON, United States (Jamaica Observer) — Uruguayan Carlos Végh is the new World Bank chief economist for Latin America and the Caribbean.Végh will oversee a team of economists charged with providing intellectual leadership, economic analysis, and advice on the development issues facing Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) Region.The announcement was made by the World Bank on Thursday. Végh replaces Ecuadorean economist Augusto de la Torre, who served as chief economist for LAC since September 2008 and retired at the end of last year.“It is a great honour to take this position and build on the intellectual leadership of my predecessors,” said Végh. “Despite significant economic and social progress in recent years, the region is likely to face some challenging times in the near future. In the long run, LAC will need to consolidate past gains and strive for further improvements in a broad range of areas. I look forward to contributing to this process.”Végh, who will start in his new role on February 1, is currently the Fred H Sanderson professor of International Economics at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) and a research associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER). Previously he also served as professor of economics and vice-chair of undergraduate studies at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and before that as chair of the Program in Comparative and Topical Studies at UCLA’s Latin American Center.Végh’s research on monetary and fiscal policy in emerging and developing countries has been highly influential and is regularly featured in the international financial press. He has contributed to several World Bank reports such as the Global Economic Prospects.He has also served as visiting scholar in Banco Central de Chile, Colombia’s Banco de la República and Banco de México. During the 1980s and 1990s Végh served in different research positions at the International Monetary Fund and the Inter-American Development Bank in Washington DC.He is currently editor in chief of Economía, a publication of the Latin American and Caribbean Economic Association. He has also held other editorial positions in specialised publications such as the IMF Economic Review, the Journal of Development Economics and the Journal of International Economics, among others.He holds a doctorate degree on economics from the University of Chicago and bachelor’s degree on economics from American University in Washington DC and Universidad de la República in Uruguay.center_img BusinessNewsRegional New World Bank chief economist for Latin America, Caribbean by: Jamaica Observer – January 13, 2017 Sharing is caring! Sharelast_img read more

JRA bans horses over feed additive

first_imgThe Japan Racing Association said Saturday it would exclude 156 horses from racing this weekend, an unprecedented number, after finding a prohibited substance in their feed additives.The JRA held its races as scheduled on Saturday, and will do likewise on Sunday with the remaining horses. A total of 983 were originally supposed to compete this weekend. IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 KEYWORDS Horses compete on Saturday at Hanshin Racecourse. | KYODO The association said an imported additive sold by Japanese company Nosan Corp. was found to contain a performance-enhancing substance called theobromine, a stimulant that also strengthens cardiac activities.“We weren’t able to test the 156 horses on Friday, so we decided to scratch the horses from competition to ensure the fairness of the competition,” said Shinobu Ito, a JRA official.“We have been telling feed vendors to only ship products that have been tested in the past, but the products that were delivered this time contained additives that were not tested yet,” Ito said.At Tokyo Racecourse, another JRA official said the association learned early Friday evening that feed vendors had been contacting stables, asking if they could retrieve the products that tested positive for the banned substance.“The product has been used for a long time, but basically it must not be sold until after test results come back negative. These happened to be sold to stables before the results came out,” Yukinobu Shomura said.While stables have long used the additives, the JRA calls for all feed products to be tested at the Laboratory of Racing Chemistry in units they were manufactured in. He said the JRA is still investigating how the product contained theobromine.The additive, which tested positive for the banned substance, was manufactured between December and May, and was used in a total of 28 stables in Ibaraki and Shiga prefectures.Nosan Corp. apologized in a statement, saying, “We will investigate the causes and take preventive steps.” The product, the statement said, does not use theobromine and it is not yet known how the substance got into the product.The use of such drugs that temporarily enhance or reduce the performance of race horses are banned from races sanctioned by the JRA, which is holding 26 Grade-1 races this year.The association took until Saturday morning to announce the matter because most of its staff were on their way to their assigned racecourses, and it required time to contact stable officials and come up with possible measures, the JRA said.A total of 72 JRA races are scheduled at Tokyo Racecourse, Hanshin Racecourse and Hakodate Racecourse this weekend. center_img Japan Racing Association, theobromine GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES RELATED PHOTOSlast_img read more

Project Restart: Premier League doctors raise concerns over resuming season

first_img(BBC) A number of Premier League club doctors have raised a range of concerns with league bosses over plans to resume the season, BBC Sport has learned. One issue that the senior medics have sought assurances over includes their own liability and insurance cover if players contract the virus.The Premier League has also been asked to provide some clarity over medical protocols, testing and player welfare.The Premier League is hopeful of a potential 8 June resumption. The 20 club doctors have been holding their own discussions about Project Restart – the label given to plans to resume action – with a view to feeding their thoughts into the Premier League’s leadership.A Premier League source told the BBC that they viewed the move by the medics as a natural part of the process with clubs, and a means of reaching “the best possible set of protocols”.They also confirmed that the league was in talks with insurance companies over the issue of club and doctor liability, and that this would be brought up with government representatives this week. The Premier League is represented on a cross-sport working group of medical experts and public health officials which will meet for the second time in a week tomorrow.The panel is devising the health and hygiene measures that players, managers and club staff will be asked to agree to before full training and then competition can resume, but only if the government deems it safe to do so.The government is set to review its lockdown measures later this week, with the Premier League meeting to vote on the plans next Monday. A number of players and sports medics have already voiced their concerns about whether it is safe to return to action. Eamonn Salmon, the chief executive of the Football Medicine and Performance Association (FMPA), has told BBC Sport that opinion among doctors and physios at English football clubs regarding resumption plans was varied.Speaking last week, he said: “I guess the views of our members will be a kind of snapshot of society really.“There are those who think it can be done, there are those that are doubtful and there are those that probably suggest it is an impossible task. “We have to wait, this is a waiting game all the time, it is such a changing landscape and fluctuating on a day to day basis.“This is just the start in some respects, whatever proposals are put there it is then open to debate and for comment and opinion to feed into that.”If training is resumed before social distancing rules are relaxed, BBC Sport understands players will be tested for coronavirus twice a week and would be screened for symptoms every day.All tests would be carried out by health professionals at a drive-through NHS testing facility that each club would have access to. Training grounds will be optimised for social distancing and high hygiene levels. In addition:Players must arrive at training grounds in kit and wear masks at all times.They must not shower or eat on the premises. If clubs want to provide players with food, it must be delivered as a takeaway to players’ cars. Only essential medical treatment would be allowed, with all medical staff in full PPE.All meetings and reviews must take place virtually and off-site.In Germany, where the Bundesliga is set to become the first major football league in Europe to return to competition, 10 positive results have been returned from 1,724 coronavirus tests from clubs in the top two divisions. Cubs have been training in groups and the tests are being taken before a planned return to training as teams.Measures including “the isolation of the affected person” have been taken, said the DFL.Top-flight side Cologne have had no further Covid-19 infections after three people tested positive last week. Bundesliga officials suggested resuming on 9 May but the government delayed the decision and a restart may now be on 16 or 23 May.last_img read more