Obtained by ABC NewsBy AARON KATERSKY, ABC News(NEW YORK) — One resident died after a fire broke out at an assisted living facility in the early hours of March 23.Fire burned through a Spring Valley, New York, assisted living facility, killing one resident and prompting dozens of middle-of-the-night rescues.Flames broke out inside the Evergreen Court For Adults on Lafayette Street just after 1 a.m. Tuesday morning.Between 20 and 25 residents were rescued by firefighters in what they described as a “chaotic scene.”One resident was pronounced dead at a local hospital.A portion of the building collapsed as firefighters battled the blaze. One firefighter was briefly trapped in the burning structure.Two firefighters were injured. One was admitted to Westchester Medical Center and another was treated at Hackensack University Medical Center and released.One of the firefighters appears to have suffered a medical condition, possibly a heart attack, official said. Another is unaccounted for.Denise Kerr, the director of the Evergreen Court Home for Adults called the fire an “unspeakable tragedy” in a statement Tuesday afternoon.“Our hearts and prayers go out to all individuals and families who have been impacted. We join the community in mourning the loss of our resident who passed away and pray for the safety of the missing firefighter,” Kerr also said.The facility is “fully cooperating with all state and local authorities” in their investigation of the fire and that all 112 residents had been accounted for, relocated and that their families are being contacted.“Anyone who wishes to reach us to inquire about a family member can call 973-378-1997 or email [email protected],” Kerr added.The building is a total loss.K9 and other specialized units will search the fire debris for any possible victims.The facility offers assisted living, nursing home facilities and continuing care for older adults.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Oslo-listed shipowner and dry bulk transporter Pioneer Marine Inc has taken delivery of its second 38,419 dwt Green Dolphin eco-design handysize vessel, the MV Kite Bay, from Yangzhou Guoyu Shipbuilding.MV Kite Bay’s fuel consumption is about 6 tonnes per day lower than the non-eco design vessels, according to Pioneer.The Green Dolphin newbuilding series is equipped with Ice Class 1C, fully logs fitted, suitable for the carriage of various dangerous cargoes, grab fitted, ABB Octopus system for fuel consumption optimization, and mass flow meters on the bunker line.MV Kite Bay will begin a one-year charter on a floating rate based on the Baltic Supramax Index less a small discount. The deal includes an option to extend the charter for up to one additional year.With this delivery, Pioneer now operates a fleet of fourteen handysize vessels and one handymax vessel.“Pioneer had contracted twelve newbuilds of which three have been cancelled without penalty and two vessels have delivered. The seven remaining newbuildings are scheduled to be delivered in 2016 (four) and 2017 (three),” Pankaj Khanna, Chief Executive Officer, said.As World Maritime News reported, the company took delivery of its first Green Dolphin vessel the MV Falcon Bay in September 2015. The vessel is chartered under a one-year charter agreement, with an option to extend the contract for up to one additional year.
“Coming off arguably the greatest season in program history, West Florida (26-5) finds itself as the conference favorite. The reigning GSC champs have risen fast under the direction of Jeff Burkhamer and have added depth to an already loaded roster. The Argos must replace three of their best players but return Rashaan Benson (10.6 ppg), who dished out 174 assists. Among the new recruits is Old Dominion graduate transfer Alasaane Kah, who brings experience and will make an immediate impact in the post.” For the latest information on UWF men’s basketball, follow Argo athletics on Twitter @UWFMensBBall. The Argos will hold their first official practice Oct. 15. The team’s home opener vs. Spring Hill is slated for Nov. 20. The Argos were the only Gulf South Conference team featured in the poll. The Bulletin, a leading publication covering Division II basketball since 1991, rated the Argos the top team in the GSC for the upcoming season. The newsletter’s conference breakdown said: #ARGOS#Print Friendly Version The preseason preview edition of the Bulletin ranked Bellarmine as the top team in the country. Northwest Missouri followed with the No. 2 ranking. West Texas A&M, Lincoln Memorial, Saint Anselm, West Liberty, Western Washington, and Nova Southeastern came in ahead of UWF while East Stroudsburg rounded out the national top 10. PENSACOLA, Fla. – UWF men’s basketball checked in at No. 9 in the Division II Bulletin preseason poll Tuesday. The Argos open their season with an exhibition game at Florida State Oct. 26.”We are excited to receive our first ever preseason top 10 ranking,” said UWF head coach Jeff Burkhamer. “However, most preseason respect is earned by last year’s team. We have a completely different challenge this year.” “Pre season rankings are fun but postseason rankings are much more important,” said Burkhamer. “We are excited about beginning practice next week and look forward to staying relevant in the Gulf South Conference and the South Region.”UWF adds seven newcomers to the roster this year and returns six players who saw the floor last season, plus redshirt post player Conor Flanagan.
LAFOLLETTE, TN (WLAF) – Summer is here and WLAF wants to see what summer means to you. Send us your pictures showing how you spend and celebrate the most relaxed season of the year. Photos should be sent to [email protected] starting today. Include who and/or what is depicted in the picture as well as who took the snapshot. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 06/19/2019-6AM)Share this:FacebookTwitter
ANTHONY Joshua’s managers are “begging” for a world heavyweight unification bout, says WBC champion Deontay Wilder.The American, 33, controversially drew with Britain’s Tyson Fury in Los Angeles earlier this month.The WBC has since sanctioned a direct rematch after a “unanimous agreement” in a meeting of the board of governors.“They’re definitely begging now. His management team have been trying to reach out to mine all of a sudden,” Wilder told Joe Rogan’s podcast on Monday.“He could have had this opportunity, he had many opportunities; he could have fought Luis Ortiz, he could have fought me, he had a chance to fight (Tyson) Fury.“But people want to know who’s the best, especially after seeing this Fury fight, and I’ve been trying to show people who is the best. I’m always going to say I’m the best until I’m defeated.”A bout between WBC champion Wilder and Joshua – who holds the IBF and WBO, WBA belts – would unify the titles in the heavyweight division.Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn has previously engaged in failed negotiations with Wilder’s team.The 29-year-old British boxer is yet to confirm an opponent for his next fight on April 13 at Wembley Stadium, with Hearn saying “it comes down to what Wilder wants to do”.“Wilder is our absolute first and golden choice,” Hearn said.“Anthony will then become undisputed champion and then I think it’s only right Fury gets his shot as well.” (BBC Sport)