We need to introduce a ‘brownfield-first’ housebuilding policy

first_imgGet your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe now for unlimited access Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGINlast_img read more

At least 25 dead in migrant shipwreck off Libya: rescue charities

first_imgAt least 25 people are feared to have drowned in a shipwreck off Libya after a dinghy, possibly carrying some 150 migrants, ran into trouble, two rescue organisations said Saturday.“Rubber dinghy sunk north of Tripoli. At least 25 people died in the incident, exact numbers still unclear. Italian navy on the scene,” the German charity Sea Watch said on Twitter.The Italian coast guard told AFP 85 people had been rescued from the sinking vessel, and eight bodies recovered so far.It was believed to be the first shipwreck of 2018 – though rescue organisations say countless dinghies attempting to cross the Mediterranean are likely to sink without a trace, meaning the year’s death toll may have begun even earlier.The alarm was sounded after a surveillance aircraft deployed in the EU anti-trafficking mission Sophia spotted the partly-submerged dinghy some 40 miles off the Libyan coast, in international waters.“Shipwreck off the coast of Libya, east of Tripoli. Dozens of people missing who will die without a burial,” tweeted the Spanish charity Proactiva Open Arms.Sea Watch said it had been alerted to the disaster by the coast guard, which believed 150 people had been aboard.“The search continues for survivors,” said the coast guard, which was aided in the rescue by a navy vessel.Last year, 3,116 people died trying to cross from North Africa to Europe, according to Doctors Without Borders.Italian-led efforts to prevent people from setting out saw a sharp drop in the number of arrivals in the second half of 2017.While migrants who made the perilous journey across the Mediterranean in rickety boats still numbered nearly 119,000, it was a roughly one-third drop over the previous year.The drop has been attributed to a controversial combination of an Italian-led boosting of the Libyan coastguard’s ability to intercept boats and efforts to seek the assistance of powerful militias.In the first six days of 2018, over 400 people have been brought to safety in Italy, the interior ministry said, compared to 729 in the same period last year.last_img read more

Costa Rica can go far says coach Pinto

first_imgRECIFE, Brazil – Costa Rica coach Jorge Luis Pinto said the sky’s the limit after the Central Americans claimed their second major scalp of the World Cup on Friday to secure their place in the last 16 for only the second time.Costa Rica, whose only previous last 16 appearance was in 1990, are ranked only 28th in the world, 19 places behind Italy and 21 places behind Uruguay.But less than a week after a 3-1 come-from-behind win over Uruguay, Pinto’s team added another touch of magic to their impressive campaign so far with a deserved 1-0 win over four-time champions Italy.Recommended: Watch GIFs from 3 different angles of Bryan Ruiz’s historic goal for Costa Rica“We’re delighted with the win, which has put us into the second round, but we don’t want to stop there. It’s only the start,” said Pinto, a 61-year-old Colombian known for winning league titles in Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica and Venezuela.“It’s not easy to play against a team like Italy, given their history and the individual talents they have.“We tried to contain their play by restricting [midfielder] Andrea Pirlo. But we were also solid in defense.”Costa Rica restricted Italy to only two real goal chances in the first half, both coming from striker Mario Balotelli following deliveries by Pirlo, before claiming a deserved 1-0 win thanks to Bryan Ruiz’s header.Two minutes after seeing claims for a cast iron penalty waved away following Giorgio Chiellini’s charge on forward Joel Campbell, the Central Americans stunned their opponents on the stroke of half-time.Gianluigi Buffon, who sat out the England win due to an ankle knock, failed to come for a Junior Diaz cross to the far post and Fulham forward Bryan Ruiz produced a superb header, which beat the 2006 World Cup winning goalkeeper.“It came just at the right moment,” said Pinto.“It was an epic win, but we believed we could do it,” said 28-year-old PSV Eindhoven striker Ruiz.“Since beating Uruguay we’ve been super confident. But beating Italy is even more special.“I don’t think we’ve properly realised the importance of what we have achieved so far.”Costa Rica’s win meant Group D rivals England crashed out. Facebook Comments Related posts:With focus on next round, winning Group D less of a priority, says Wanchope In Costa Rica, pride for La Sele’s historic World Cup play Snapshots from the Web of Costa Rica’s historic World Cup win VIDEO: Even in defeat, Costa Rica celebrateslast_img read more