BUY TICKETS: See the Daytona 500 live!RELATED: Waltrip’s Daytona moments | Daytona schedule DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — He’s still just “Margaret and Leroy’s little boy,” but Michael Waltrip is pushing 54 and Sunday he’ll be making his final start in the Daytona 500. “I just thought it was a cool place to run my last race,” Waltrip said during Wednesday’s annual media day at Daytona International Speedway. It will be his 30th start in a race and at a place that still generates a wide range of emotions for the Owensboro, Kentucky, native. His record of futility was a solid 462 races heading into the 2001 Daytona 500 when he finally made it to Victory Lane in his first start for Dale Earnhardt Inc. Jubilation was short-lived. In a race that crowned a new Daytona 500 champion, the sport lost one of its biggest figures — team owner and seven-time champion Dale Earnhardt. Waltrip, the younger brother of NASCAR Hall of Fame driver Darrell Waltrip, won the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series biggest race again in 2003. He won the summer race at Daytona in ’02 and the fall stop at Talladega the following year. “I try not to get reflective or nostalgic because it’s too emotional,” he said of his Daytona memories. “Mostly I just think about getting to race the car. Obviously I have faced the range of emotions that humans probably aren’t designed to face and it all probably happened within 10 seconds, so that’s hard to think about. “But I love coming to Daytona, I’ve been coming here since I was a kid, so every time you talk about coming to Daytona I get a big smile on my face which is crazy but that’s racing I guess.” Outside the car, he works as a NASCAR analyst for FOX “and I’ve got great teammates there,” he said. &amp;amp;lt;/p&amp;amp;gt; For 32 years he’s made at least one start in the series — the last time he ran a full schedule was ’09. He will suit up for a final time with help from long-time sponsor Aaron’s — they’ve been with him in some form or fashion for nearly two decades — and Premium Motorsports owner Jay Robinson in the team’s No. 15 Toyota. “When we ran last year’s Daytona 500 (with BK Racing) it didn’t go well,” he said. “We didn’t run good and I guess we got in a little bit of a fender-bender and messed up the car. I didn’t want to quit like that. So I went to Talladega (with Premium) and we got a 12th-place finish, ran up front a little bit. “Then I decided we would try to have one more competitive run down here. You’ve got to quit sometime.” For Waltrip, sometime comes Sunday. “When we close the books on this it will say 11 XFINITY Series wins and one Camping World Truck win and it will definitely say four Monster Energy NASCAR Cup wins, maybe it will say five,” he said. “But I qualified 35th so unless our strategy is we’ve got ’em right where we want ’em … we might be in a little bit of trouble on this one. “But I’m looking forward to trying.”
Share Gabriel Wortman(BBC) A gunman disguised as a policeman killed at least 16 people, including a female police officer, in what is believed to be Canada’s worst mass shooting.The 12-hour rampage started late on Saturday and ended with a car chase.Police said the suspect shot people at different locations in Nova Scotia, many of them randomly. He was killed in a confrontation with police.He was reported to have been driving what looked like a police car.Police began receiving calls about shots being fired at a home in Portapique about 22:00 local time (01:00 GMT on Sunday), the Globe and Mail reports.Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officers arrived to find “several casualties” inside and outside the home, but did not find the suspect.The alleged attacker, who was later identified by Nova Scotia police tweets as 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman, owned two large properties in the village, the Globe and Mail says.At 23:30, RCMP tweeted that officers were responding to a firearms complaint in the area, and advised residents to lock themselves indoors. While officers descended on the scene, a series of fires broke out around the community, and then later at homes about 40km (25 miles) north, the Globe and Mail reports.Neighbours told the newspaper that Mr Wortman set fire to his home and several buildings on the property, and shot people when they ran out of their homes.RCMP continued pursuing Mr Wortman for hours, following a series of crime scenes that police said were “scattered across the province” and which police are still working to piece together.Authorities were still trying to establish the final death toll on Sunday. They warned that there may be more victims.RCMP Constable Heidi Stevenson, who had served in the force for 23 years, was among those killed.“Heidi answered the call of duty and lost her life while protecting those she served,” Nova Scotia RCMP Commanding Officer, Assistant Commissioner Lee Bergerman said in a Facebook post.“Two children have lost their mother and a husband his wife. Parents lost their daughter and countless others lost an incredible friend and colleague,” Commissioner Bergerman said.Another victim has been identified as Lisa McCully, a teacher, the Globe and Mail reports, quoting a post written by the victim’s sister on Facebook.Neighbours say Mr Wortman owned a successful denture clinic in Dartmouth, and had a strong interest in RCMP and RCMP memorabilia, the Globe reports.Chief Superintendent Chris Leather said he was not aware of Mr Wortman having had a history of violence, or extremist political views, and that there did not appear to be anything linking the victims to each other.RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki said she believed the gunman had an initial “motivation” that “turned to randomness”, according to CBC News.Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described it as “a terrible situation”, and Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil told reporters “this is one of the most senseless acts of violence in our province’s history.”Gabriel Wortman was not employed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, but “may be wearing a RCMP uniform”, police said during the attack.“There’s one difference between his car and our Royal Canadian Mounted Police vehicles: the car # [registration plate]. The suspect’s car is 28B11, behind rear passenger window. If you see 28B11 call 911 immediately,” they tweeted on Sunday.The gunman later changed cars to drive a “small silver Chevrolet SUV”, police added.The police provided few details about how the suspected gunman died.Mass shootings are relatively rare in Canada where gun ownership laws are stricter than in the neighbouring United States.Last year, two fugitive teenagers confessed to killing three people, including an Australian-US couple on holiday, in northern British Columbia.In 2017, university student Alexandre Bissonnette shot dead six worshippers and injured either others a Quebec City mosque.The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have been targeted in a number of shootings, including an attack that left three officers dead in Moncton, New Brunswick, in 2014.In 1989, a college shooting in Quebec left 14 women dead after the killer sent all the men out of the classroom and opened fire. Share InternationalNews Gunman Kills At Least 16 in Canada by: – April 20, 2020 Tweet Share 65 Views no discussions Sharing is caring!