A Jefferson County grand jury handed down the indictments for intoxication manslaughter-cause death of peace officer and intoxication assault of a peace officer earlier this week.An indictment is not a final conviction of guilt; it is only a ruling by the grand jury that allows the district attorney’s office to proceed with a criminal case. Police contend Torres, of Port Arthur, was traveling southbound in the northbound lanes of U.S. 69 and caused the collision. Hospital results showed his blood alcohol content to be 296 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL).Additionally, the warrant states information about his activities leading to the collision were found on several different media platforms and he reportedly admitted to consuming alcohol.The fatal creasg led the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission to launch investigations into two locations Torres may have obtained alcohol. Luis Fernando Torres has been indicted in the fatal drunk driving crash that killed a Beaumont police officer and injured another officer.Torres, 18, reportedly struck a Beaumont Police Department patrol unit head-on Aug. 9, killing the passenger, 23-year-old Officer Sheena Yarbrough, and injuring the driver, 28-year-old Officer Gabriel Fells, following a night of heavy drinking.Yarbrough was pronounced deceased at the scene and Fells was taken to St. Elizabeth Hospital with serious bodily injury, according to the affidavit for arrest.
In a long-awaited ruling, the Court of Protection has ‘invited’ the government to find ways to ensure that vulnerable people unable to make decisions for themselves have access to independent representation in deprivation of liberty hearings.Delivering judgment by way of four test cases in JM & others, Mr Justice Charles (pictured) said the primary responsibility to provide a resource that enabled the Court of Protection to either appoint a professional rule 3A representative or to otherwise meet minimum procedural requirements in those and similar cases ‘falls on the secretary of state, or on the secretary of state together with the applicant authorities’.Charles invited the Ministry of Justice and Department of Health to identify a suitable person ‘who is ready, willing and able’ to accept immediate appointment as a rule 3A representative or identify an alternative procedure that is ‘actually’ available to the court to meet minimum procedural requirements.Future similar cases have been adjourned until a ‘practically available procedure’ is found.Charles acknowledged that his order would ‘create a backlog comprising a very large number of stayed cases’.‘Plainly this is unfortunate but it will identify the extent of the problem and why the [court] and the applicant authorities have not been able to progress the applications for welfare orders to authorise P’s deprivation of liberty,’ he said.Charles identified six ‘routes’ the government could take alone or with local authorities to find a ‘necessary solution’.These include entering into contracts with advocacy services providers to supply a pool of people who can be appointed as rule 3A representatives; setting up a pool of accredited legal representatives; or making legal aid changes.A government spokesperson told the Gazette: ‘We are carefully considering the judgment and will respond to the findings in due course.’ Charles said central government’s stance in the proceedings had been one in which it had ‘failed to face up to and constructively address the availability in practice’ of such rule 3A representatives and ‘sought to avoid them by trying to pass them on to local government’.Budgetary pressures in central and local government had led to a ‘resources-led catch-22’ for the Court of Protection, and for vulnerable people and their families, ‘because neither central nor local government are offering to create or to try to create a practically available resource to enable the [court] to meet the minimum procedural requirements by appointing professional rule 3A representatives’.Jonathan Smithers, president of the Law Society, which intervened in the case, said it was ‘vital’ that vulnerable people who did not have friends or family to represent them during a decision to restrict their liberty were able to participate in the decision-making process.‘If this is not possible, then they must have a legal representative to protect their rights as well as their health and general welfare.’The Society recognised that the court, local authorities and government budgets were stretched. ‘But those who are least able to defend themselves should not be sacrificed on the altar of austerity,’ Smithers said.He added that the Society ‘look forward’ to working with the ministry to find a solution.
Everton are interested in Sean Dyche becoming their new manager, according to Sky sources.Another source has told Sky Sports News that an approach is not imminent, with caretaker boss David Unsworth expected to be in charge for the upcoming matches against Lyon and Watford.Ronald Koeman was dismissed from his post last Monday after Everton fell to a 5-2 defeat to Arsenal, leaving them in the Premier League relegation zone.Following last week’s sacking, Everton U23 manager Unsworth has taken the reigns at Goodison Park on an interim basis and has expressed his interest in taking over from Koeman.Other managers including former England manager Sam Allardyce have also shown interest in the Everton job.When asked about the vacant managerial role at Goodison Park after his side’s 1-0 victory over Newcastle on Monday night Dyche remained tight-lipped on his future.“I just keep getting on with my job, simple as that,” Dyche told Sky Sports, when asked what he would do if a call came in from Everton.“We just keep getting on with it. That’s my focus and my team’s focus. We have to do planning of course, but generally we take each game as it comes, we work on that, then we process the information, debrief it and we move forward again and keep that clarity of thought. That’s how we keep going.”Since joining Burnley in 2012, Dyche has experienced great success at Turf Moor, helping guide the club to two Premier League promotions – he is currently the third longest serving manager in the division behind Arsene Wenger and Eddie Howe.He is currently enjoying his best season with the Clarets – after 10 games they have 16 points and sit in seventh in the Premier League after a string of impressive results, including an away win against last year’s champions Chelsea on the opening day of the season.