NC MedAssist will bring back a free over the counter medicine GiveAway event to Swain County on Saturday, Sept. 29 at West Swain Elementary School from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. The event is open to all Swain County residents and their families needing OTC medication. The Give Away will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at West Elementary School. Participants must be 18 years of age or older and proof of residency is required (identification card or utility bill showing name and address).This will be the first OTC event held in Swain County. Individuals will receive $100 worth of OTC products, which include items such as allergy relief, pain relief, indigestion relief, cold medicine, first-aid and vitamins.Last year, NC MedAssist distributed more than $1.9 million dollars of donated OTC medication to North Carolina individuals and clinic partners. Swain County Health Department encourages every Swain County resident to take part in the FREE OTC Medicine Give Away.
5 February 2014 The upgrading and expanding of South Africa’s rail network will relieve the burden on the roads, significantly increase the country’s export capacity and stimulate further investment and job creation, says Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba. Speaking at a briefing in Pretoria on Monday, Gigaba said a total of 6 405 kilometres of rail would be replaced on South Africa’s general freight, coal and ore lines, increasing the country’s freight capacity by 149.7-million tonnes. “Existing logistics corridors will be expanded and new ones will be established, and 1 317 new locomotives and 25 000 new wagons will be procured [over the next five years],” he said. “We will be able to increase our exports of coal by over 50%. Our ability to move general freight on rail will have more than doubled in capacity, and Transnet’s container handling capacity will increase by 75%.”Catalysts for further investment, employment Gigaba said that state-owned companies were acting as catalysts for additional investment in the economy. Infrastructure development was a critical stimulant, Gigaba said, with Eskom planning to invest over R500-billion in the economy over the next five years, and Transnet set to invest over R300-billion over a seven-year period. State-owned companies falling under the Department of Public Enterprises invested R53-billion in the economy three years ago, Gigaba said; this year they would be investing over R113-billion – an increase of over 100%. “Our infrastructure state-owned companies are already key providers of employment, and with the additional infrastructure capacity that will be built, [they] will become even more important sources of employment.” By 2017, he said, Transnet alone would support the direct and indirect employment of approximately 30 000 people. The company had also secured R175-million from the Department of Higher Education and Training to recruit and train 1 000 learners to study maritime engineering. “State-owned companies are playing a leading role in skills development and will be investing over R2.8-billion in the current financial year,” he added. “Over the last year, more than 16 000 learners were trained in scarce and critical learning programmes within state-owned companies of the DPE.” Also addressing Monday’s briefing, outgoing Eskom CEO Brian Dame said the power utility was “serious about helping black business to bloom”, and that Eskom had “finalised the structure of a fund for developing mines to assist emerging black miners”. Gigaba added: “By 2015, we will ensure that over 50% of coal for Eskom comes from black miners.” Source: SAnews.gov
sarah perez First Orion, maker of a popular call-blocking and caller identification app for BlackBerry smartphones, is today revealing a new Android application which promises similar features. The app called PrivacyStar lets Android users block calls, report violators of the Do Not Call law and utilize the real Caller ID services. Although there are a number of Caller ID-type applications already out there for mobile phones, PrivacyStar actually connects with the SS7 Network. In the telephony world, this set of signaling protocols allows for the existence of services like call forwarding, call waiting, call screening, busy callback, caller identification and more. However, PrivacyStar’s claim that this SS7 connectivity for True Caller ID makes the app an “industry first” appears to be a bit of hyperbole. Competitor Privus Mobile, for example, can also connect with SS7 via its set mobile Caller ID applications. As explained in this forum posting (from 2008!), PrivusMobile’s CTO says the company accesses data via its parent company, Accudata Technologies. “They have a patented system to translate our requests into a query to all the telecom databases in North America. This includes Verizon, VeriSign, AT&T, and many others… So the query starts on the data network and might go out over the SS7 signaling network, or might go over another data network to get whatever will be the most current information for the calling phone number.”Being directly connected to SS7 or not may or may not be a key selling point for PrivacyStar’s end users. What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Related Posts The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement PrivacyStar: Caller ID, Blacklisting and MoreThat said, First Orion claims PrivacyStar’s implementation of Caller ID is the one most similar to Caller ID services you would find on your landline phone. As with traditional Caller ID, the new app will display the name and number of whoever’s calling as the phone rings. In the past, this service was only available to former PrivacyStar users by way of a lookup tool integrated with the phone’s call log feature. Now, the identification is immediate. In addition to the caller identification service, PrivacyStar users can also block individual phone numbers, entire area codes or private and unknown numbers. An included (and optional) SmartBlock service goes even further, proactively blocking phone numbers identified and blocked the most by all PrivacyStar users. If a telemarketer makes their way through somehow, despite this formidable blockade, you can then report them as being in violation of the Do Not Call list, assuming you’ve added your number. Finally, a Do Not Disturb feature not only sends calls straight to voicemail, but also sends out a customized text message to the caller saying you’ve received the message. The recipient could then text back if the message was urgent but you weren’t able to talk. (Would it be wrong to turn this on permanently, we wonder?)Droid Doesn’t?There is one unfortunate drawback to the $2.99/month PrivacyStar service subscription: It doesn’t work over Verizon’s CDMA network. The company explains that on the CDMA network, the Caller ID service isn’t able to make an outbound call while a voice channel is operating. For CDMA users, PrivacyStar’s caller identification feature will only work when the phone is also connected to a Wi-Fi network. These afflicted users can rely on the reverse caller lookup option instead, which allows any user to find the name of the caller within their call log. This option is similar to the current way the BlackBerry app works, but the BlackBerry version will soon be updated with the features outlined here today. Why There’s No iPhone AppInterestingly enough, one app that’s not mentioned as being in development is the Apple iPhone version of PrivacyStar. Why is that? From what we could gather, it’s primarily because Apple doesn’t allow the level of modifications required by PrivacyStar within its officially sanctioned iPhone applications. For example, PrivacyStar changes the incoming call screen. Would Apple allow that? No. Nor would it allow an app that integrates deeply with call logs and contact lists. Apple’s restrictions give Android and even Blackberry the edge here when it comes to offering practical tools for the everyday user. iPhone owners who want similar functionality can download “lookup apps” that let you enter in phone numbers after the fact, or apps that apply custom ringtones to warn you of “blacklisted” numbers. To really blacklist a number, iPhone owners have to jailbreak their phones, then install apps like iBlacklist. And to get Caller ID services… wait, what’s that?…There isn’t even a jailbreak app delivering Caller ID functionality to iPhone? Sorry, guys. Tags:#Google#mobile#Product Reviews#web
A new NIH policy will also require submission of summary results to ClinicalTrials.gov for all clinical research supported by the agency, including early phase I safety trials and behavioral research. At the moment, even many major academic medical centers aren’t publishing trial results of NIH-funded trials within the required time frame.The data reporting policies largely mirror proposals released for comment in 2014. One noteworthy addition, however, is that the final HHS rule requires that sponsors submit their protocol and original statistical analysis plan along with the summary results. That will dissuade researchers from trying new ways of analyzing their data to get a more interesting result, or “P-value hacking, where people sort of shop around for a statistical test to give them the P value that they love,” said NIH Director Francis Collins in a call with reporters.HHS declined, however, to add narrative summaries to the bare-bones results tables now in ClinicalTrials.gov because it would have been difficult to ensure that the summaries were not biased to suggest that a treatment worked. Instead, officials will continue to encourage patient advocates and other groups to build on the data summaries.The agencies also didn’t feel ready to require that trial sponsors share data for individual patients because experts are still working out how to do that without compromising privacy. University of California, San Francisco, medical informatics researcher Ida Sim, who is co-leading one such project, agrees with that decision. “I think this is an appropriate scope at this moment,” says Sim, who served on a 2015 Institute of Medicine panel urging broader sharing of clinical trial results.The new rules go into effect 18 January 2017 and trial sponsors will have 90 days to begin complying; companies can request an exemption for up to 2 years if FDA hasn’t yet approved sale of the drug. The NIH policy covers studies funded after 18 January 2017. Trial sponsors who fail to comply could face FDA fines and suspension of NIH funding for clinical research.NIH today also announced new guidance for clinical trial proposals, such as a suggested protocol template and training requirements. In addition, instead of sending their trial proposals to NIH as investigator-initiated grant applications, investigators will need to respond to a so-called funding opportunity announcement (FOA). That means NIH will be able to include “review criteria that focus on the rationale, design, and operational and analysis plans,” such as whether sample sizes are adequate, the JAMA article explains. The change will also ensure that proposed trials are routed to peer review panels with the expertise to evaluate those technical details, NIH officials say.In the past, NIH says, a scientifically interesting proposal could sail through peer review and receive funding, even though the design was weak. The changes follow on other new NIH review standards to improve the rigor and reproducibility of NIH-funded preclinical research.“We want to be sure that we are receiving and having the chance to review the most effective applications for clinical trials. It doesn’t work very well for them to sort of slide in randomly through various doorways without having some standardization of exactly what information is going to be included and also a clear path for its review by experts,” Collins explained.The changes may trigger some pushback. But Collins says that researchers shouldn’t worry that the FOAs will be used to limit the scope of the clinical trials. Researchers will still be able to study “a broad range of important medical problems,” he says.*Correction, 16 September, 1:31 p.m.: The article has been clarified to indicate that the final rule requiring that results from certain U.S. Food and Drug Administration-regulated clinical trials be posted in ClinicalTrials.gov was issued by HHS, not FDA. Drug companies and academic researchers will have to step up their public reporting of clinical trial results under new federal policies released today. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland, also laid out a new plan for submitting clinical trial proposals that aims to beef up the rigor of the studies.Researchers can no longer submit an unsolicited idea, but must respond to a request for applications that will include specific design requirements. The goal is to cut down on the number of “small crappy studies,” that don’t include sufficient numbers of patients or veer off from the original study plan, NIH staffers say. The agency wants to “reengineer the process by which clinical investigators develop ideas for new trials,” NIH officials explain in a commentary today in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).NIH is timing these changes with the release today of a final U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) regulation that expands requirements that sponsors of trials regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) submit summary results no more than 1 year after a trial ends to ClinicalTrials.gov, the NIH-run public database. Companies will now have to report results not only for approved products, but also for mid- and late-stage (phase II and III) trials of FDA-regulated drugs and devices that haven’t yet been approved and may never reach the market. That will help increase the efficiency of research by letting others know about trials that failed, officials say.Sign up for our daily newsletterGet more great content like this delivered right to you!Country *AfghanistanAland IslandsAlbaniaAlgeriaAndorraAngolaAnguillaAntarcticaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAustraliaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBermudaBhutanBolivia, Plurinational State ofBonaire, Sint Eustatius and SabaBosnia and HerzegovinaBotswanaBouvet IslandBrazilBritish Indian Ocean TerritoryBrunei DarussalamBulgariaBurkina FasoBurundiCambodiaCameroonCanadaCape VerdeCayman IslandsCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaChristmas IslandCocos (Keeling) IslandsColombiaComorosCongoCongo, The Democratic Republic of theCook IslandsCosta RicaCote D’IvoireCroatiaCubaCuraçaoCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritreaEstoniaEthiopiaFalkland Islands (Malvinas)Faroe IslandsFijiFinlandFranceFrench GuianaFrench PolynesiaFrench Southern TerritoriesGabonGambiaGeorgiaGermanyGhanaGibraltarGreeceGreenlandGrenadaGuadeloupeGuatemalaGuernseyGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHeard Island and Mcdonald IslandsHoly See (Vatican City State)HondurasHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIran, Islamic Republic ofIraqIrelandIsle of ManIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanJerseyJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKorea, Democratic People’s Republic ofKorea, Republic ofKuwaitKyrgyzstanLao People’s Democratic RepublicLatviaLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyan Arab JamahiriyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacaoMacedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic ofMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMartiniqueMauritaniaMauritiusMayotteMexicoMoldova, Republic ofMonacoMongoliaMontenegroMontserratMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNetherlandsNew CaledoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNiueNorfolk IslandNorwayOmanPakistanPalestinianPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPitcairnPolandPortugalQatarReunionRomaniaRussian FederationRWANDASaint Barthélemy Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da CunhaSaint Kitts and NevisSaint LuciaSaint Martin (French part)Saint Pierre and MiquelonSaint Vincent and the GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome and PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSerbiaSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSint Maarten (Dutch part)SlovakiaSloveniaSolomon IslandsSomaliaSouth AfricaSouth Georgia and the South Sandwich IslandsSouth SudanSpainSri LankaSudanSurinameSvalbard and Jan MayenSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyrian Arab RepublicTaiwanTajikistanTanzania, United Republic ofThailandTimor-LesteTogoTokelauTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTurks and Caicos IslandsTuvaluUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited KingdomUnited StatesUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVenezuela, Bolivarian Republic ofVietnamVirgin Islands, BritishWallis and FutunaWestern SaharaYemenZambiaZimbabweI also wish to receive emails from AAAS/Science and Science advertisers, including information on products, services and special offers which may include but are not limited to news, careers information & upcoming events.Required fields are included by an asterisk(*)
Valencia took a huge step towards the last 16 of the Europa League with a 2-0 first-leg win at Celtic on Thursday.The Spanish side dropped out of the Champions League after finishing behind Juventus and Manchester United but possessed the cutting edge required to damage Celtic’s hopes of progressing in the competition.Brendan Rodgers’ men conceded for the first time in all competitions in 2019 as Denis Cheryshev and Ruben Sobrino netted either side of half-time to put Valencia in complete control of the tie. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! And while Celtic huffed and puffed in the closing stages, they were unable to make any inroads on home soil, leaving them needing a huge away victory in the return fixture next week.1 – Celtic have only kept a clean sheet in one of their last 10 knockout stage games in European competition, failing to win each of the previous eight games they’ve conceded in before tonight (D1 L7). Ominous.— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) February 14, 2019Valencia goalkeeper Neto parried clear Callum McGregor’s early low drive, while Scott Bain was extended at the other end to turn away a looping Daniel Wass header.The two defences largely dominated for the remainder of the first half, but Celtic’s run of seven consecutive clean sheets came to an end just before the interval. Sobrino held his run to meet Dani Parejo’s pass and then squared for Cheryshev to tap in the opener.And the roles were reversed within four minutes of the restart as Cheryshev sent over an inviting cross from Valencia’s left for the unmarked Sobrino to volley through Bain’s legs.The introductions of Timothy Weah and Odsonne Edouard inspired belated improvement from Celtic in attack, yet Valencia dug in and eased through to full-time without any major concerns. read more